windows update can't download

Status
Not open for further replies.

acuariano

Baseband Member
hi guys i can't download the latest patches for windows [i have a legit key]
i contact microsoft support and was advice to do this:
If you are running Ad-aware, ZoneAlarm, PC-Cillin, Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, McAfee, Proxomitron pop-up blocker, Ad Muncher, web accelerator e.g. "Slipstream", I would recommend you to temporarily disable or shut down any of these installed on your system
and try accessing Windows Update site. Be sure to enable them again when you complete the update process.

Step 1

The particular issue you are encountering indicates that the database where Windows stores the information on who is and is not trusted to install programs on your machine has become corrupted and unusable. To correct this:

Note: The Catroot2 folder is related with Windows Update and deleting or renaming this folder would not harm your system in anyway. When you next logon to Windows Update Site, this folder will be automatically recreated.

1. Close any windows you have open.
2. Click on Start, then My Computer
3. Open the C drive
4. If this is an upgrade over Windows 2000, open the WINNT folder. If not, open the WINDOWS folder.
5. Open the System32 folder
6. Find the CatRoot2 folder and right-click on it, and select RENAME. Change the name to CR2OLD. Make sure you hit Enter after typing in the new name, so the changes can be saved.
7. Close this window.

Now connect to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and check the status of the issue. I hope after the above steps you should be able to install the updates. If the issue continues, kindly proceed to next set of instructions.

Step 2

This error can occur if one or more of the following services are disabled or not running. We will therefore RESET Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Automatic Updates service.

1. Click Start --> select Run. In the Run box, type services.msc Click OK
2. Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Right-click on it and select Properties
3. Click on Stop and then again click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected. Click OK
4. Similarly find Automatic Updates service. Right-click on it and select Properties
5. Click on Stop and then again click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected. Click OK
6. Close the Services window

[Please note that if the service is already started the "Start" button will be grayed out. In this case "Stop" the service and then "Start" it again. On the other hand if the service is not running, the "Stop" button will be grayed out. In this case "Start" the service]

Step 3

We also need to register the ActiveX control files needed to access the Windows Update Site. We need to do this since the error can occur if these files are unregistered on your system. To do this you can try the instructions provided below:

Note: There is a Single Space between the regsvr32 command and the file name JSCRIPT.DLL . The same goes with all the commands provided below.

1. Click on Start, point to "Run"
2. Type in "regsvr32 JSCRIPT.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
3. Type in "regsvr32 MSXML3.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok./
4. Type in "regsvr32 ATL.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
5. Type in "regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
6. Type in "regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
7. Type in "regsvr32 WUAUENG1.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
8. Type in "regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
9. Type in "regsvr32 WUPS.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
10. Type in "regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL" (without double quotes) and click Ok.
i respond with this:
Hi,I tried all solutions listed but no results,,I have to indicate the following..from the programs you listed I only have zonealarm pro,I shut it down and proceed with the instructions.
note: on step#2 "background intellingent transfer service" you asked me to click on properties,fine,and then click on stop and then click on start,,but stop is grayed out[disable] only start shows,,when I click on start I receive this message[look at the attachment] "windows could not start the background intellingent transfer service on local computer,error code 2147024894
i enclosed some pictures,any help would be appreciated,thanks

Sounds like Spyware to me. I had this issue before with spyware not allowing me to download anything including updates. Run a spyware scan first and maybe even a virus scan.

i ran both already 3 times,remove minor spyware,,,but nothing,no reported virus on nod32

I have a software and hardware firewall and have no trouble getting my updates. I have heard good and bad from NOD32. Have you tried CounterSpy, Ad Aware or even spybot. I know they are not to be as good as NOD but i also know that it could be NOD causing the issues. NOD32 has been blamed for pinning the CPU in Vista a few times. But that is just an opinion. Try to disable NOd and see if you can get updates.

could be,,but if i disable the AV program,,can i get a virus while downloading? also i have counterspy update i run this everyday..,what AV program you use

well i'm still waiting for a response for microsoft..now..i did a "windows repair"..and when it was installing it brought me to errors one for outlook express[that i never use]and the other one for "windows update" c:\windows\system32\inetcomm.dll . maybe damage or corrupted.. ok when it brought windows back,, SP2 was deleted..i installed the SP2 and got another error message..it couldn't installed "service pack2 setup error" windows xp has been partially updated and may not work properly...i log onto windows update ,,it takes some time..and then i get "error#0x8007005" the website has encountered a problem and can not display the page you're trying to view.
so i'm going from back to worse..what can i do..i think that if i get a fresh copy,,i'll get the same error about windows update..oh.i'll bring this to the technician..last STEP
note:..also now i had problems opening my WORD program,,nero...and limewire..

Well it could be that you got a virus or some spyware from downlaoding from limewire. I would suggest a format and reinstall. Since you are getting errors across the board for simple things like installing SP2 you are better off just backing up and formatting and starting fresh.

my friend tell me something...how easy is to reformat,reinstall a xp/home edition..is this like when i got the pc from dell,[no warranty now]..so after getting a fresh install..what? guess i have to first get an antivirus and firewall,,then setup my dsl,then install SP2,,then update everything again.and get all my programs back....so can you guide how to.. please..hope i won't mess this up.......also i used before norton AV,,it came with the system.....then i change to NOD32..i also have counterspy ..thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom