Windows/Unix Installation - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2003, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Windows/Unix Installation

Okay. To start off with, i can normally install any operating system of choice. However, I need to install Redhat / Windows on a laptop, without a CD drive, or any current working operating systems, apart from windows 3.0. I hoped when i installed windows 3.0 that i could then network the laptop to some other computers, and copy the windows files, or copy the Redhat/Windows cd's onto the laptops HD. However, the laptop, with Dos 5, installed windows 3.0 does not seem to have any Is there any possible way that i would be able to install windows / linux on this computer? This computer used to have NT installed, and i am willing to find a network card for it. . . N E ideas?

Old 08-02-2003, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Admstng

1) your going to need a NIC on the laptop
2) a second computer
3)FTP Server for the Linux install
4) Windows 2000/03 server for windows install or Latest ver. of ghost.

now, for what i have done, i only have done 1 of 3 ways above, and that was use RIS (remote installation server) with windows 2000 server. You create a special boot disk and boot off the network, and it's almost like a nnormal install (i used a answer file so my install was like 7 min long)

use ghostt. This program has a option to create a image of a install but not take the file's that were deticated for that particular install (eg: drivers, sid, etc..) i have not done this, so don't ask for support from me lol... but i'
m sure there's loads of documentation out there for it. ( google is your friend)

and last but NOT least, linux. during the Anaconda install i noticed a option to install from a FTP server. If you can get anaconda on a floppy, you'll be good to go, only thing you'll need is a FTP up.

BTW, your obviously goin to need a network for this. (at least 2 computers)

hope this helps
Closed Thread