Windows Ten...

I've heard rumors from other peeps claiming that the license is tied to the hardware on OEM pc's and an MSA account may not be required, I haven't attempted this myself yet but I might sometime after the 29th

I've heard rumors from other peeps claiming that the license is tied to the hardware on OEM pc's and an MSA account may not be required, I haven't attempted this myself yet but I might sometime after the 29th

For new systems shipping with Win10, yes since a key could be embedded in the BIOS. But not necessarily for free upgrade systems, since legacy BIOS doesn't support the key being embedded like UEFI systems do. An MSA would be required for this to work properly as far as I can tell.

Legacy bios uses a SLIC version (depending on what version of windows is installed) that is put into the bios from the OEM's. That why the OEM's can quickly auto-install Windows and have it pre-activated for when you enable oobe when you open the box. The key you get from Magic Jellybean or other key extracting programs is not the same key on the OEM COA sticker. OEM's have some kinda deal with M$ that allows them to use a generic key for all their pc's. Each OEM does need to have it's own generic key. You can go to some web sites and get a bios mod SLIC version for Windows 7 for your Vista pc and upgrade to 7 with an auto activation all set to go (with a generic key) I believe that M$ is using some type of SLIC install to write into the bios for 10 licensing on older pc's

I do not want to post the url for any of those kind web sites here

Last edited:
Got a source that Win10 is doing that for legacy BIOS? Would be interested in reading more on that if you have any links.

Last edited:
Um what's legacy bios and slic... Just so I can follow that better.

sent from Spartaknight
Legacy BIOS is the old standard of pre-boot for computers. BIOS = Basic Input/Ouput System, is what's on all computers before UEFI came out. UEFI is different from BIOS, so to differentiate them one is referred to as "legacy BIOS" and the other is referred to as UEFI.

SLIC is an acronym that just stands for "Software Licensing" that refers to how they do licensing for OEM systems in reference to "built-in" keys:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/Dn653305(v=VS.85).aspx

10 is not officially out yet so after the 29th we might find out more about windows activation and licensing

That's what I'm kinda waiting for - though I guess I don't really have much reason to anymore since my DreamSpark copy of Win8.1 is technically a retail copy so I should be able to transfer it to a new system if I upgrade (my biggest concern). Though I may way a bit to see if that is indeed the case. Either way, hopefully I'll get a vanilla Win10 license from DreamSpark as well. I'll have to check my work MSDN account to see if there's one available there yet.

Legacy BIOS is the old standard of pre-boot for computers. BIOS = Basic Input/Ouput System, is what's on all computers before UEFI came out. UEFI is different from BIOS, so to differentiate them one is referred to as "legacy BIOS" and the other is referred to as UEFI.

SLIC is an acronym that just stands for "Software Licensing" that refers to how they do licensing for OEM systems in reference to "built-in" keys:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/Dn653305(v=VS.85).aspx

That's what I'm kinda waiting for - though I guess I don't really have much reason to anymore since my DreamSpark copy of Win8.1 is technically a retail copy so I should be able to transfer it to a new system if I upgrade (my biggest concern). Though I may way a bit to see if that is indeed the case. Either way, hopefully I'll get a vanilla Win10 license from DreamSpark as well. I'll have to check my work MSDN account to see if there's one available there yet.
Alright cool thanks for explaining that... I was just looking that up.

sent from Spartaknight

Back
Top Bottom