Windows Ten...

nheppeard

Baseband Member
So just wondering who's all upgraded to Windows ten??? Idk how many of you consider that an upgrade. Should I download this now? Pros and cons. Honestly I haven't seen anything that bothers me, but I'd like to know your opinions...

sent from Spartaknight

Moved to Windows board.

It's not out yet, so nobody can upgrade to it as of yet. Insider Preview builds were available and have updated to 10240, which is rumored to be RTM (pretty sure it's not though) - which removed the watermark/build # from the desktop.

Moved to Windows board.

It's not out yet, so nobody can upgrade to it as of yet. Insider Preview builds were available and have updated to 10240, which is rumored to be RTM (pretty sure it's not though) - which removed the watermark/build # from the desktop.
If you don't mind me asking CarnageX: what do you like/dislike about Windows ten so far?? Idk how much you have looked into it, I heard the joker talk about possible gaming performance increase. Minimal but more of a focus.

sent from Spartaknight

I've been running it on a spare laptop that I have off and on, and it performs well on such an old laptop (a Thinkpad T61p). I like it a lot, but I'm going to hold off upgrading my main rig for a bit to make sure things at launch go smoothly.

Haven't tested gaming performance since it was on an old laptop. DX12 will be exclusive to Win10, so maybe that's what you heard for increased gaming performance in the future - however there aren't any DX12 games even announced yet, so that's a ways off as far as DX12 games go.

I've been running it on a spare laptop that I have off and on, and it performs well on such an old laptop (a Thinkpad T61p). I like it a lot, but I'm going to hold off upgrading my main rig for a bit to make sure things at launch go smoothly.

Haven't tested gaming performance since it was on an old laptop. DX12 will be exclusive to Win10, so maybe that's what you heard for increased gaming performance in the future - however there aren't any DX12 games even announced yet, so that's a ways off as far as DX12 games go.
I might hold off as well. Doesn't always pay yo be the first ones with new software lol. I may download it on my Dell inspiron 15 that I have but it's kinda crappie so I don't really care about that one...

sent from Spartaknight

I might hold off as well. Doesn't always pay yo be the first ones with new software lol. I may download it on my Dell inspiron 15 that I have but it's kinda crappie so I don't really care about that one...

sent from Spartaknight

If it's on Win7 or Win8 then it's eligible for the free upgrade to Win10.

Like I said, I've been running the preview on my spare laptop and it's been running just fine. I'm mostly wondering how the licensing portion of Win10 is going to pan out, which is the main reason I'm waiting. Otherwise, overall I like Win10.

If it's on Win7 or Win8 then it's eligible for the free upgrade to Win10.

Like I said, I've been running the preview on my spare laptop and it's been running just fine. I'm mostly wondering how the licensing portion of Win10 is going to pan out, which is the main reason I'm waiting. Otherwise, overall I like Win10.
What do you mean like whether they will charge you later on or something?

sent from Spartaknight

What do you mean like whether they will charge you later on or something?

sent from Spartaknight

No, I'm not worried about being charged later because I know the whole rumor of "windows 10 is a subscription" is a bunch of nonsense.

I'm just waiting to see how the "tied to a device" for OEM licenses pan out. That and I need to research on how my DreamSpark licensed version of Win8.1 will be treated for upgrades - if it's considered Retail or OEM.

Edit: well that was easy... Just ran "slmgr -dlv" in command prompt and it denotes that they're considered Retail copies.

Last edited:
From my understanding, if you have an licensed and activated version of 7 or 8.1 then you'll be eligible for a permanent license of 10 sometime after 7/29. you have to install the free upgrade onto an existing activated version of 7 sp1 or 8.1, after that your pc will have a permanent 10 license (via legacy bios or uefi) and you can then format and do a clean install and be auto-activated

From my understanding, if you have an licensed and activated version of 7 or 8.1 then you'll be eligible for a permanent license of 10 sometime after 7/29. you have to install the free upgrade onto an existing activated version of 7 sp1 or 8.1, after that your pc will have a permanent 10 license (via legacy bios or uefi) and you can then format and do a clean install and be auto-activated

You are correct. The free upgrade licensed version will then be tied to your the MSA you sign in with, from what I understand as well. So then any other activations will be automatically validated based on that account.

The OEM version of the free upgrade (if you already have an OEM version of Win7/8.1) will be tied to the device you upgrade on, but the retail copy (purchased or upgraded from a retail copy of Win7/8.1) will be able to be activated on different machines just like normal retail licenses.

Back
Top Bottom