Windows suddenly cannot load driver for my DVD burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again all!

I just experienced Windows 7 giving me a "cannot load driver message" [Code 39] for my HP 1260 DVD burner. It is fairly new [less than 30 days], has worked perfect thus far, and now will not work at all.

I cut and pasted two screen shots. One, of the message itself. Two, of the device manager's yellow flag.

Can anyone help me to resolve this issue please?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• HP 1260 Device driver message.jpg
    HP 1260 Device driver message.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,846
  • HP 1260 yellow flag in Device manager.jpg
    HP 1260 yellow flag in Device manager.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,862
Silly question but have you tried rolling back to the previous driver? What was you doing on the PC when this happened? If it still doesn't work, try disconnecting the power and IDE/SATA and plug it back in give it a shot, let us know!

Silly question but have you tried rolling back to the previous driver? What was you doing on the PC when this happened? If it still doesn't work, try disconnecting the power and IDE/SATA and plug it back in give it a shot, let us know!

What was I doing on the PC when this happened? I had just burned a DVD.

I will plug/unplug the device and let you know what happens.

I already attempted to find a driver online at HP, but there is none listed for the HP DVD 1260.

Soar

Ok, I did everything you suggested and still a no go. BTW, there is no button for rolling back the driver...so I uninstalled the driver and Windows automatically installed the driver again.

I received the following message: driver was not properly installed. Consult device manufacturer for assistance [see my screen shot].

Can anyone else here help me to resolve this issue?

Is there a problem with my new DVD burner or is this an OS/driver issue?

I purchased this DVD burner about 2-3 months ago, and now I cannot find the receipt! OUCH! I wanted to ask HP to send me a new DVD burner and now I cannot unless I find the receipt. I will look in all my purchase folders on my computer next.

Soar

Attachments

• DVD driver install shot.jpg
    DVD driver install shot.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,792
Give me time Soar and i will try to help. I just got done working 21 hours in a 27 hour time frame so i have been busy.

Alright so lets look at this. You burned a DVD then the drive disappeared?

CD/DVD Driver Error installing from 64-bit disk PURCHASED yesterday

Check out that thread as it may help.

Mak,

First, I would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. And I hope you can have some much needed rest. Sorry you have had to work so much!

How are you now and did you get some rest yet?

Regarding my post, ok, I read the link you posted but I suspect it may be a different scenario with my computer...and here is why...

The HP DVD 1260i seemed to work just fine for the two months I have had it installed. Earlier today, I burned a file to a DVD for my mom and dad [a video file of when we were just kids nearly 50 years ago].

When I attempted to burn a second copy of the file to another DVD, that is when the problem started...

I posted screen shots of what occurred earlier in this post...

I am not sure exactly what happened...but I did discover one oddity...

I noticed on my receipt [yes I did finally find it], it says this unit is a HP DVD 1260i. When I go into Device Manager, I notice that Windows is telling me it is a HP DVD 1260d. I am not sure if this is an issue, but there is a letter difference vs. [d].

Other than that, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what is the problem.

I sure hope you can help me, but much more important to me is that you rest and recuperate.

Mak, I appreciate you and all the help you have given me over the last couple of years and I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you.

Take good care of yourself!

It's me,

Soar

PS Please take your time, I'd be happy to wait until you are rested and your batteries are recharged!

Did you read all of the posts? As i know Kevin Hu had posted up at least 2 different things to try. There was one for a generic ATAPI Driver and another one to try and have Widnows resolve the issue itself. Please at least try one of them before saying it doesnt apply as the ATAPI driver is what controls the DVD Drive.

Did you read all of the posts? As i know Kevin Hu had posted up at least 2 different things to try. There was one for a generic ATAPI Driver and another one to try and have Widnows resolve the issue itself. Please at least try one of them before saying it doesnt apply as the ATAPI driver is what controls the DVD Drive.

Hi Mak,

Yes, I read each and every post [and there were very many]. I feel my issue is quite different than the issues being addressed on that post.

99.9% of the people on that post are experiencing problems DURING the installation of Windows, whereas my issues arose several months AFTER installing Windows 7.

Also noticed the error messages on the post are different than the error message I am receiving:

Post error message: A required cd/dvd device driver is missing

My error message: code 39 windows cannnot load your driver. Driver maybe corrupt or missing.

Have you any other ideas for me to try?

Thanks,

Soar

I think it is a corrupt driver. Which is why i want you to try the ATAPI driver suggestion. It is a generic driver and it should work to get it going again. If it doesnt then we know it isnt a driver issue and can look into it more. Which is exactly what i said in my last post about the ATAPI drivers. Trying those should either confirm a hardware issue or driver issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom