Windows stays on "loading personal settings" screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimson_streak

Beta member
Hi,
I was having trouble updating zonealarm firewall, the the laptop froze and I tried ending the program on the task bar, but it was no use, so I switched the laptop off manually, after that every time I try to login it just stays on the loading personal settings?

I can't enter safe mode because when I press F8 nothing happens.

please you got to help me

You will just have to reinstall software though. But all your files will be there still.

No you wouldnt. It doesnt affect the registry or the programs folder. Few if any applications would have to be reinstalled.

You don't need to repair the OS at this point just yet. While you view that loading screen, the OS is loading a personal profile linked to your account. It does sound like your FW update loaded something into your profile that the OS doesn't really like. Considering you are able to login to SafeMode, I highly suggest you simply rename your local profile (while logged into an alternate account with admin priv). Once you rename that profile through Documents and Settings, simply log out of the 2ndary account and log back in with your standard username password scheme you have. After creating the new profile you simply copy the "Desktop, Favorites and My Documents" folders to the new profile. You can copy the 'hidden' Application Data folder as well, however the majority of the time, the issue lies within that application data folder...

REASON:

While running a repair WILL fix the issue... I have seen many people lose data by incorrectly running repair.

There are 2 very different ways repair is run... 1 will remove your data while the other won't. If you have never performed a repair on the OS before, i suggest you rename the profile first.

agreed, but it seems like a repair install might make more sense, especially if there aren't a lot of files that the OP wants to keep.

ps. love your sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom