Windows sounds not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humbucker said:
Yeah, you should have - would have saved yourself a whole lot of embarrasment, and more to the point TIME. So I don't have the ability to learn? You know nothing about me. You act like I can't sleep at night because of this problem, believe me a few windows sounds not working is way down on my list of priorities in life. If I knew it all I wouldn't have asked for help would I? I'm dealing with an inarticulate know-it-all brat. Or rather, WAS dealing with - I have nothing left to say to you. Just that you're an idiot, and I won't be the last to tell you that, judging by the way you have conducted yourself in this thread.

actually you are a gump, who got a lot of hair on his chest, because you have that moniter to protect you.

you can lie to yourself and think that I'm am embarrassed. check the audio section. I'm good at fixing computer, but I specialize at audio. I have solve hundred of problem there (here too)

you seemed to specialize in proving an irrevalent wrong point

go fetch boy. I'm done

EricB said:
actually you are a gump, who got a lot of hair on his chest, because you have that moniter to protect you.

you can lie to yourself and think that I'm am embarrassed. check the audio section. I'm good at fixing computer, but I specialize at audio. I have solve hundred of problem there (here too)

you seemed to specialize in proving an irrevalent wrong point

go fetch boy. I'm done

Yeah, you really told me. :laughing:

OK so I've finally had time to sit down and try and find a solution for this problem. I've done multiple searches, and my latest one yielded this result:-

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum107/257.htm

EXACTLY the same problem as mine - and proof that it's a Windows problem rather than a soundcard one, like I have been saying to Eric 'superiority' B all along. I don't really want to create a new user profile, but at least I'm a step closer to finding the cause - my guess is, I'm now dealing with a registry problem.

OK, seems that last link won't work directly so here's how to get to it:-

Google 'windows sound scheme not working'
4th result down, from webmasterworld.com

since you are showing your maturity level here, I'm going to respond (this thread was dead a couple of days ago)

I'm assuming that this is it.

Hi,

I am a new windows user (I still have my MAC, but I need both systems now). I've got a computer with Win XP SP2 running. When the computer arrived, the sound scheme worked just fine.

For all MAC and windows lovers, please understand, I NEED both systems, and I see value in both systems, for different reasons. I like them both! I just need some windows help with a little problem I don't understand because I am new at windows and learning it in more detail-- every day!

I did have to download some things (it kept complaining that I needed the latest updates), loaded in Office 2003, Firefox (to bypass MSIE and security risks), Thunderbird (to bypass Outlook and its risks), Netscape Navigator 4 (to get my old e-mails) and Netscape Nav 7 (just in case), QuickTime, Win Media Player update, that sort of thing-- all purchased properly and so on. I didn't download any third party software or utilities. Everything is pretty standard stuff you'd buy in a computer store (except I HAVE to have my QuickTime!-- and it came with iTunes)

Well, my sound scheme stopped working. I didn't notice it at first, so I am not sure exactly when it happened.

I did a "system restore" to an earlier time, and the sound scheme came back, but all my programs of course, disappeared. Because I am new at the windows world, I kept trying things until I must have blown away the windows cache for restoring, so I couldn't go back to an earlier time anymore (oops!)

I checked the Microsoft site but can't find anything that addresses this in Win XP maybe having a problem with some program or other.

I can hear the sounds in the sound scheme set up, but they don't work upon event. But some of them DO. For example, in Thunderbird, when I get mail, I do get a system sound to alert me. But most of my computing is quite silent.

It is a small matter, perhaps a silly one, but I would probably learn something if I knew what happened and how to fix it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
collymellon

view member profile
msg #:2 3:45 pm on May 13, 2005 (utc 0)

Hi,

If you haven't allready try:

Go to >controlpanel >soundsandaudiodevices

Select the second tab, this will show what sound scheme is currently in use, I'm guessing none is selected so it would just be a case of selecting yours from the drop down.

Also below that is a list showing every sound assigned to commands throughout windows.

Hope this helps..

Col

tractor boy told you that in the first place. if you had posted a picture of your sound scheme, we would told you that again, for the 3rd time.

Not that you deserve a response, but I told you I had selected a sound scheme and such like 30-odd posts ago in this thread. All personal differences aside, and one-upmanship, I really don't think you have read and soaked up this thread.

Here's a couple of quotes from that forum that I'm referring to:-

" After installing sp2, my system sounds (startup, new mail, default beep, exit windows, etc) stopped working. My speakers work fine so that's not the problem. When I visit control panel > sound & audio devices > sound tab, my "sound scheme" is set on "default" and each sound "preview" works just fine. But, the actual event sounds (like new mail) don't work. I've searched everywhere trying to solve this problem...... HELP! :) "

" Have you tried checking the vendor of the sound card for an updated driver or just reinstalling the driver?

Richard "

" My sound card is not the problem. My sound works perfectly because I can listen to music, etc.

When I visit control panel > sound and audio devices > sound tab, all the system sounds work fine when I click on the preview of each. The actual event sounds (new mail, etc.) are the ones that don't work. "

" Have you tried creating another profile to see if the sounds work there? "

" BINGO Bill! All sounds work fine under a new profile.
Evidently, some settings are screwed up in my current profile. Hmmm, now I need to figure out how to save all current files, email, preferences in a "new" user account. Thanks so much for all the help:) "

I was done with the thread. I had forgotten about it. I was trying to help a person. This person didn't appreciate it. He telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about

Now if this was me, I would never diss a guy that was helping me, even if he was wrong. I would always appreciate it. Also if I didn't now what the problem was and somebody was approaching it from a different perspective, I would listen to him and follow his directions, Just because I don't know the answer

That is exactly the reason I am so good at fixing computers. I never went to school for it. I use to say that I would never touch a computer, because they were going to lead to the end of the world. But in December of 2000, my cousin gave me a computer. it was a 100mhz processor, 400mb hard drive and it couldn't do jack, but it intrigued me enough to buy a 500mhz, 10gig computer and my new career took off from there. I still believe that computer will lead to the end of the world, But IÂ’m going to make money fixing them in the meantime

You can ask anybody here. I know computers inside and out,

Actually my whole life (since 4 year ago) I have been good at fixing everything. My next door neighbor ask me how I got good at fixing things after I replace their pipes in their basement (they thought that I went to school for these things). I told them if I see something broke I will just fix it

What makes me so smart is the fact that I know, that I don't know everything. I am never above asking a question. If I come across a problem that I can't fix, I am always open to new ideas (a different perspective than mine).

I was trying to give you advice and you dissed me. At the beginning of the post a few people were giving you advice yet you were ignoring them too. I told you to stop bumping the thread. I figure that if you weren't going to listen to anybody, why bump the thread?

I can probably send you link to over a hundred posts here, where people were giving advice to problems that could fix the problem, yet they would ignore the advice and wonder why they still have the problem. Of a few of those posts I would respond to try so and soÂ’s (the person who gave the advice) advice. Then their problem would be fixed.

It just irks me when people sometime don't listen to advice. Yet you are the first person to actually attack a person back because you wouldn't follow their advice

I guarentee you that if I had that problem, I would not have create a new profile. I would have dug to the root of the problem and fixed it. I'm skilled like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom