Windows Shutdown Setting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoLoCroN

Daemon Poster
Does anyone know where I can edit the setting in Windows that tells the computer to shut down automatically?

I have about 90 PC's that were working fine. Due to a recent security upgrade the settings on the OS were obviously changed.

The most noticable change is seen when trying to shut down your computer.

Before: You shutdown your computer and.. the computer would shut off.. (Start>Shutdown>Shutdown)

Now: You shutdown your computer and you get a message on your screen that says "It is now safe to shutdown your computer" but it doesn't shut off the PC...you have to manually hit the power button so the PC could power down.

I know the hardware is compatible because it use to do it before, and due to the nature of the work being done, removing the security settings is not an option.

I have a feeling it is a registry setting somewhere but I can't really find it.

Anyone out there seen this before?

Thanks,

Holo

HoLoCroN said:
Does anyone know where I can edit the setting in Windows that tells the computer to shut down automatically?

I have about 90 PC's that were working fine. Due to a recent security upgrade the settings on the OS were obviously changed.

The most noticable change is seen when trying to shut down your computer.

Before: You shutdown your computer and.. the computer would shut off.. (Start>Shutdown>Shutdown)

Now: You shutdown your computer and you get a message on your screen that says "It is now safe to shutdown your computer" but it doesn't shut off the PC...you have to manually hit the power button so the PC could power down.

I know the hardware is compatible because it use to do it before, and due to the nature of the work being done, removing the security settings is not an option.

I have a feeling it is a registry setting somewhere but I can't really find it.

Anyone out there seen this before?

Thanks,

Holo

Do you have APM enabled in the bios? What exactly did you upgrade?

Re: Re: Windows Shutdown Setting??

ChaosBlizzard said:
Do you have APM enabled in the bios? What exactly did you upgrade?

Yes APM is enabled, the changes were all software. I applied a few security templates to the PC's (Win2k SP3) and everything works fine except for that shutdown menu.

That really confuses my users because when they shutdown their computers, it still stays on... until you hit the power button. Most of the time they just leave and the computer stays on... that causes a problem because even though its on, it is not connected to the network and if a new AV definition gets updated on my SAV Server, it won't propogate to that workstation.

Thanks for the help,

hmm... does 2k have the NT Apm/Legacy support? may need to show hidden devices. it should, I wonder if the SP disabled or removed it. I'd check in DM and see... I'm looking around in my registry.. I've seen this before but for the life of me, can't remember what I did to fix it! May just do a google search on this :)

well, found this in the registry, but not sure... check it out maybe you can make

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Power

this looks more promising, though
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-220523388-1383384898-1060284298-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

just edited my post, found some things. the last registry string looks promising... dont know what the setting needs to be. heh, never mind u beat me to it ;)

Thanks for the help guys, I just ran a test on one of my machines and although that was a good find (LocosBlanco) it didn't do the trick.

That was a good find though, thanks again.

the times i have had this problem, the source of it always came from the video card drivers/ softwares. check to see if the video card drivers are conflicting or removed/ changed. see if all of the video settings are what they used to be. some of the softwares you installed might be disabling the ACPI features of the vid card.

are you sure the security updates did not disable advanced power management on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom