Windows Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakh

Baseband Member
My desktop's hard drive is partitioned into two drives. I want to make the second partition a server. Is all I have to do install a Windows Server OS to make it accessible from my laptop on the network? If not, how can I make it to where I can access the desktop's HD from my laptop?

You cant make a single partition a server. Because you can only run 1 OS at a time on a PC. Unless you use Virtual Machines.

All you have to do is create a network and share the drive.

My laptop is connected to the network, but I can't add it as a user to my desktop to share. The desktop is Vista Home Premium, if it matters. I've also been trying to mess around with Remote Desktop and can't figure that out either. I have my entire drive shared and can see it, but I can't access it.
Thanks.

If you cant even see the other PC on the network there is no way you are going to see the drive. You have to get the 2 PC's working on the network correctly first before you can worry about getting the drive shared.

So 1 PC is Vista. What is the other one? We need info to be able to help.

The desktop is Vista Home Premium and the laptop is Vista Ultimate. The desktop can find the other PC, just not as a user. I am able to access my laptop's HD, but not the other way around. Any other info you need, just let me know.

What do you mean it cant find the user? Did you try creating a account and using that log in info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom