Windows server 2016 questions?

TheDrunk

In Runtime
I am in college course once again, This time for a BS in Computer Science Majoring in Cybersecurity, and minoring in Ethical hacking.

I have got axcess to Windows server 2016, now when i go to download I find these three options

Data Center

Essentials

and standard.

Know last time I ran windows server, was on the 2008 and I played around from blade servers to the dell big boxes, even slapped it on to some desktops.
I have a system which I was planning on making in to a server, it is a MOBO taken out of a HP 110-023W which Specifications can be found here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03779346

I am Wanting to know, if the system would work, because I have a single CPU and dual cores upon that and windows 2016 says minimum 8 core.
If it wont work I have other plans for the beast.... A PF sence BOX.

Where he saw the requirement for a minimum of 8 cores is for the licensing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing
His licensing will already be different because he's getting it from DreamSpark/MSDN, where you're not supposed to run those copies of anything in a production environment or for commercial purposes - only for development / learning.

So I can use it on the above listed machine?
Would it work decent enough, I plan on 16G and upgradding the processor ( I am not shure if i could go abose the 3.2Ghz i3dual core to a quad core i4 or i5)

All depends on what you're planning on using it for.

I have Server 2012 R2 running on an old e8400 with 6GB of RAM that is just a network file server, Plex Server, and small webserver.

*shrugs* I am installing Server 2k16 Standard in a VM with only 4GB of ram and 2 vCPU's... Believe it or not, most the time, a server OS will sit idle and consume very little processing power. It's when you are running things like an SQL database that you need the processing power...

As far as licenses... I don't see how a license can dictate you have a minimum of cores per OS install(unless you are looking at data center or some kinda VLK), I know it can dictate the maximum core count, but never seen minimum. Only time I have seen minimum is when the OS really needs those cores.

His licensing will already be different because he's getting it from DreamSpark/MSDN, where you're not supposed to run those copies of anything in a production environment or for commercial purposes - only for development / learning.

You and I are both aware. Hopefully out of these posts the OP can deduce that his initial impression of an 8-core minimum was a difference between minimum requirements to run and licensing requirements in a production environment.

Going to per-core licensing like many of their other products makes Microsoft's shorthand "M$" really well-earned.

I was more curious if it would install on anything less then the 8cores.

I know the system can run smoothly the way I have system configured as of now, yet I was confused on wording of how the licensing ran.
and this being microsoft, well I do belive that they would stop a install if yuou do not have the minimum amount of cores they wish to license.

So my next question, can I split up the number of cores on different machines. I have 6 unsed cores. and I have another dual core and a quad core system I coudl put the software in. or is it one shot install, and im S.O.L and other 6 cores are in the wind?

Basically I do not understand how they are implementing it.

So my next question, can I split up the number of cores on different machines. I have 6 unsed cores. and I have another dual core and a quad core system I coudl put the software in. or is it one shot install, and im S.O.L and other 6 cores are in the wind?

Basically I do not understand how they are implementing it.

Are you talking about setting up VM's running within Server 2016, and dedicating cores to those?

No, I am wanting to run a WeB server from it. And be able to have access to the systems in my place. Along with some other ideas, am thinking king taking some terminal also and putting g them up.... Haven't figured it out yet... Still in planning g stage

Back
Top Bottom