Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition VS. Small Business Server. Which should I go for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinnerman

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade a client's peer-to-peer network to an actual 2003 domain. I am comparing Server 2003 Standard Edition with Small Business Server. I thought that Small Business Server was Standard Edition with a few extras like Exchange Server, which I don't need. However, SBS is quite a bit less expensive than Standard, which surprises me. I haven't yet found a side-by-side comparison on Microsoft's website and was hoping some of you could help.

Why is SBS cheaper? What's missing that is included in Standard Edition? Which version should I recommend to my client? It's a small network that's unlikely to ever grow beyond 5 clients, if that's any help.

One important point is that we need full Terminal Services functionality. Are there any limitations on Terminal Services with SBS? I plan to set this client up with some remote access via Terminal Services Advanced Client.

Thank you for your help.

Si, a fully legitimate copy. Cost is not an issue, though, partly because my client is willing to pay for what he needs, but mostly because a friend is willing to buy him a copy from the MS company store.

The51 said:
Would you actually be purchasing them?

Thats the talk of a NARC. You're not a narc, are you?

Of course he's gonna actually purchase them. After all, it is a buisness and I dont think he wants to pay $25,000 per pirated copy. I dont know what it lax in the SBS edition compared to the standard edition, but I imagine it cant be much of a difference than the difference between office and office sbs. There are prolly somethings taken off that you wont need. But terminal services deffinetely wont be something that they would take away. End users use terminal services, so I dont think they are going to subtract that form server software, no matter what version.

He does in fact have a small buisness, right? So, get the small buisness edition. I dont think he would ever use all of the stuff that you would get in standard edition than in sbs.

Thanks for the replies. I found that SBS does limit Terminal Server in that it won't allow it to run in Application Server mode. Terminal Server will still run in Remote Administration mode, which may be enough for him.

They do this because SBS must be a domain controller, and they consider it unsafe to have a domain controller running as a Terminal Server.

*****es.

Thanks again for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom