Windows Server 2003 RAM SIZE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexta182

In Runtime
I installed 4GB of RAM in a server (2x 2GB DIMMS). The BIOS picks it up as 4GB but when I check it in Windows (Right click my computer, properties) it said it has 3.62GB of RAM, then when I check it in task manager it said it has 3.8GB. The video card is only sharing 8Mb as what I can see in the BIOS.

Any Idea's?
Thanks Guys

Well, just like hard drives, you never get an exact number. The bigger the amount of memory, the more difference you have. But missing 400mb is alot. Pull some sticks and see what it adds up to with one stick at a time in there.

It probably has something to do with the motherboard. My mobo does the same (according to the manual). It can take a max of 4GB, but it will show up as a little less.

Try looking for a BIOS update. Maybe it only registers a certain number??

RAM is NOT like hard drives, it should always display the amount advertised and labeled on the stick unless of course you got shared video RAM, but that's usually 8-64MB and the math always adds up.

In your case, my first stop would be a visit at the motherboard's manufacturer website for support.

Your right, RAM is not like hard drives. Except in the fact that they are also varying in the sizes. My RAM never shows up EXACTLY. Always within some MB. I'm sure everyone elses is too.

Him said:
Your right, RAM is not like hard drives. Except in the fact that they are also varying in the sizes. My RAM never shows up EXACTLY. Always within some MB. I'm sure everyone elses is too.

Never seen that happen in Windows or in the BIOS. :confused:

I'm telling ya, the motherboard will detect the 4GB but the full 4 wont be able to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom