windows search crashes every time

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i have notticed that recently my windows search crashes as soon as its done searching

like it would search whole disk and then once its done whole PC freezes up untill i terminate the search window.
it happened probably right after fresh install.

I would recommend running M$ Updates and if that doesn't clear it up then put in your XP/Vista disk and go into Command Prompt and type "sfc /scannow" - I just learned that it will clear up many OS related bugs without actually doing a fresh install.

Also, if that doesn't fix it up, go to M$ and get "Process Monitor" - open it up and create a filter to parse out only the windows search exe (if you can) and see if the process is getting any errors. That should be Level 3 maintenance, start with the Level 1 Updates, and then go to Level 2 SFC scannow.

Btw, you wouldn' thappen to be over at uncommon forums would you?

i have indexing service completely disabled on all my windows.

its the search that runs under explorer.exe process.
u know when i right click on folder and select search

when i go to process it brings me to the explorer.exe

it will pretty much crash only after its done searching
it will go thru as many drives as you give it untill the end and then when it stops responding and whole system freezes up

Well i can see why. The search uses the indexing. Even the one built into Explorer.

You still have not answered my OS question. Cause if it is Vista then you are using Search 4.0 which heavily relies on the index service and most likely enabling it again will stop this from happening.

your only option is going to be to search M$. NOT google. Google does not spider M$ sites. You wont find a answer there.

Search Microsoft.com
Advanced Search

Best we can do without the needed info. Just repeating the same stuff you said in the first post doesnt help. I need my questions answered. Even if you have indexing turned off it still affects the way a search is performed.

oh mah bad.
itsa XP pro SP3
i had indexing turned off since i had windows98 i never used it i hate my pc grinding all night lol i need to sleep u kno.
and this is the first time i have that problem.

is search a DLL file thats part of explorer.exe?

i have agent ransack and it works fine no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom