Windows-related internet trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
My internet isn't working. At first I assumed it was related to the router or something like that but after doing every single thing I could possibly imagine I'm sure it's windows. I tested out my router and network card and they're both working perfectly and I was able to run a browser in DOS. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers and I tried a repair install of windows. If you want any more info there is a ton of it in this post:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/cannot-connect-dns-router-223980/

I'd really appreciate any help I could get on this, I'm completely stumped and I can't afford a professional.

#1 - after a virus, you should expect a destroy and rebuild is needed

#2 - one of the first steps to internet troubleshooting, can you ping your default gateway? how about 209.191.93.53 (yahoo.com)? how about google.com?

can you run nslookup google.com in a command line?

is your tcpip config static or dhcp?

#3 - have you tried a linux live cd? knoppix comes to mind

WAIT... You have norton installed on your computer?

I have ran into WAY to many problems with norton interfering with internet connectivity. Half the time when a person comes to me with internet problems and have norton installed the only thing i have to do is UNinstall norton and its fine.

I installed Norton after it stopped working, someone here suggested it's windoctor program.

I'm fairly sure I ran combofix but I'll run it again.

@Office Politics

1. Well I don't expect to get a virus and I'm not deleting everything because the internet isn't working, there has to be a better way to fix it.

2. Not sure I'll get back to you. Almost entirely sure I can't but I'll check.

3. How would that help?

the virus obvisously did some signifcant damage to the machine. you'd prolly spend less time to complete a format and rebuild than trying to figure out the problem.

if internet works when you boot into a linux live cd, it rules out hardware and points toward windows software / config. it eliminates probable causes.

You read my post right? I ran a browser in dos, so I know its a windows/software problem. That's why I moved the problem from internet to windows.

Have you reset winsock and tcp/ip?

from a command prompt:
netsh winsock reset
and
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom