Windows Recoveery

Status
Not open for further replies.

quad65

Beta member
I am working on my Daughters computer after turning it on all i get is a system32 error ? it will not boot in safe mode or any other mode.
From what i read it says to boot from a disc with the same OS that is on my computer into recovery console I dont have the original OS disc can i use any disc as long as it is the same OS as what is on my computer?
thanks

Need some information before we can help you out - what OS are you running?

If it is windows XP you can use the original CD to do a repair on the OS, which keeps all of your programs and original files and just overwrites the system files. If you have Vista or 7 it's a bit more complicated, we have to get the original disk, go to recovery options and get to the recover console command prompt.

It is Windows XP . I dont have the OS disc that came with the computer . can i use a windows xp os disc from my other computer to boot it to repair console ?

If the versions are identical - yes. You need to ensure it's the same version (IE retail vs OEM). Ensure it's the same bit (IE32bit or 64bit) and i believe it has to be the same SP, not as sure about that one though.

So you'll need an identical disc.

If this is a laptop from a manuf like HP or Dell they have recovery partitions on the drives themselves that you can boot into. Most have two options - repair or completely wipe, you'd want to use the repair if that's an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom