Windows OS on PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
What is this?
Yes, it's true. I've managed to run Windows 95 and Linux on the PSP. I've done it by porting the excellent open source x86 emulator Bochs.

Windows 95 actually runs quite well but don't expect it to be a speed demon. It takes about 10 minutes to boot but afterwards it's pretty usable. I was able to do things like: open "My computer" and browse the virtual hard drive, complete a whole game of Minesweeper and run various other applications. Now you too can get your Minesweeper fix on the go :)
I've also tested DLX Linux which comes pre-packaged with Bochs and it works just fine. However, I couldn't do much with it because there's no keyboard support. If you want to do your word processing on it then wait until keyboard support is implemented (though I doubt it will be any fun using the joystick).

In windows, mouse handling is extremely difficult. I suspect it has something to do with the "boost" feature windows has. Once you get the mouse moving it will keep moving in that direction even when you're trying to move to a different direction. The solution is to counter the movement by moving to the opposite direction. It's sort of like trying to push the mouse the other way in order to stop it.

Bochs is damn slow.. VMware is so much better than Bochs.. Though, Bochs provides a generic box for testing toy OS :D I ran a Symbolic OS emulation on Intel in bochs, it works fine.. I forgot the link to the OS, i'll find it if anyone is interested :D

i knows right there, its so small i dony know how big that hdd is but dam. to geta OS on there lol. but how do you get the psp back to normal is my question to play your games and dvd lol.

here ya go:
it's called: "Movitz: a Common Lisp x86 development platform"

from it's introduction: "The Movitz system aspires to be an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp that targets the ubiquitous x86 PC architecture "on the metal". That is, running without any operating system or other form of software environment. Movitz is a development platform for operating system kernels, embedded, and single-purpose applications. There can potentially be several completely different operating systems built using Movitz."

link: http://common-lisp.net/project/movitz/

nope, it runs way faster than any OS exists, as it's not a OS.. it's just a couple of library that stick together to design kernel (it doesn't even have a kernel :D) Straight from the support Doc: "Movitz consists of a Common Lisp compiler, a run-time environment, a library of operating system-related functionality, and debugging and monitoring tools. Movitz is, among other things, an attempt to bring exploratory programming and easy prototyping and development to embedded and kernel-level programming."

Properly tuned Common Lisp code can run 1.5 times slower than C code, faster than most current languages, how is it slow? In complex algorithm, common lisp code can run faster than most C codes.. That speed is unacceptable about 40 years ago, but now, with languages such as python run 250 times slower than C, you can't complain :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom