Windows OS problems

phantom555

In Runtime
I have installed windows vista for many years and since last year i have taken broadband internet connection. For some months it was working fine, but it seems that the hours been on internet the vista os eats up lots of megabytes for no reason! Like for webpages surfed upto one hour the megabytes used up would be for chrome and other services ....300 MB. So largely this adds up to many GBs taking up in months time. Though the connection is unlimited but it consumes more than the permissible value. The gprs on phones consumes less bytes!!! So how do i limit the megabytes usage? or should i go for another os like windows 7...and if it too gives me the same problem?

So for like 2-3 hours then 600 MB for 20 days...12 GB ...!!!! Or should i stop surfing altogether and no downloading?

Last edited:
Are you talking about HDD space or RAM?

I'm assuming you're talking about hard drive storage space.

download this: https://windirstat.info/

Run it and it will tell you what directories are taking up the most HDD space.

You could also look into disabling System Restore, and possibly Shadow Copies.

No i am not talking about HDD space / Ram.

I am writing about internet data packets of broadband the incoming and outgoing.
Some have 512 kb/s, some 1 and 2 Mbps.
In USA in 1999, suppose the normal internet user used to buy 512 kbps, of usage limit 4 GB data. Then he consumed in his desktop in winxp 250 MB per day internet data packs surfing...then in twenty days of month....5GB..!!!

Or was in usa different Operating systems winxp like they never consume much data packs but still complete site were loaded and videos played? And there was still data left for downloading too?!!!

Last edited:
So you're talking about the amount of data you're downloading?

Well it depends entirely on what you're doing... Plus there's Windows Updates + other software patches that download.

If you're downloading a lot of things through your browser as well, you need to keep track of that.

So thats what i am saying if when in some months i am downloading nothing but still the downloaded data calculates to be exceeding 12 GB per month. Then are the websites are made such that consumes much Megabytes per day or the OS services consume data packets even when sites are not viewed, nor updates downloaded?

Simplest solution? Disconnect from the internet (turn wifi off or unplug ethernet cable) while you're not actively using your computer.

Check your Windows Update settings as well. Control Panel -> Windows Update -> click 'Change Settings' on the left side -> Set the Important Updates dropdown box to "Check for udpates but let me choose when to download and install them" -> Click OK

What are the existing modern day broadband speeds(wireless as well) in USA and europe?
Are they ranging from 24 Mbps to 50 Mbps ? Fastest utilization with 25 Gb minimal data downloading?

Bandwidths in the US depend on what area you live in and what ISP you're on.

And what you're actually getting vs what you're paying for is another thing altogether.

You can still get dial-up in some parts of the US (sometimes that's all you can get still); most places I'd say 10Mbps to 60Mbps is "average" of what people are paying for (this is just a guess - I haven't researched it at all). Higher end people may get over 60Mbps and even fiber.

As for data caps... that depends on the ISP/area. IMO Datacaps are ******** (my current ISP doesn't have a datacap; used to be on an ISP with a 350GB data cap).

Yess thats true...

Internet Packages | High Speed Internet Provider | Cogeco - Ontario

A little bit expensive, but i think it uses the full potential of the pc os in use. Perhaps this technology will hit indian consumers in 2025. By then newer versions of PCs.
Here it is still 1Mbps to 2Mbps, with only 6Gb to 12 Gb datacaps.
And mobiles using in kbps rate...100Mb datacaps but uses only 2Mb.
A tad too funny this technology age, with poor men and women using 3G mobiles, high-speed videos, and college goers communicating on the go messengers.
Nowdays even illiterate indians can read, write internet text messages and pages. And even know english songs that even i didn't knew.

Back
Top Bottom