Windows not starting up/not showing on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathville

In Runtime
My laptop is having a peculiar problem. When I start it up, it'll get up to the windows loading screen, and then the whole screen will go blank like it's loading and the only thing visible is the mouse icon on the screen. I tried starting it up in safe mode but no success. I also tried startup repair but that did not solve anything.

Any ideas what's going on?

Can you get into task manager? Try starting explorer.exe.

Also, it could be a program that runs at startup, but hangs on you.

couple of minor questions:

- what make and model is the laptop?
- when was the last time you did Windows updates?
- when was the last time you reloaded the OS?
- also, is the bios up to date as well?
- how long do you let it sit and wait for the OS to load before you get impatient? :p

@Mindovermaster-No, the laptop doesn't even make it that far. It makes it right before the login screen, and then just hangs.

@Nukem-
1)The laptop is an Acer Aspire 6920 series.
2) I'm not exactly sure the last time the laptop underwent Windows updates, because I personally haven't used it for 3 weeks as it is my mom's laptop and I live on campus. She doesn't know enough about computers to remember the last time a Windows update happened.
3) What do you mean, last time I reloaded the OS. Does that mean the last time the computer was able to start up correctly? That was about 3 days ago.
4) I have no idea about the BIOS. How do you check that?
5) Nah, I let it sit for an hour and a half, but it was still stuck loading the login page. I didn't just wait like 2 minutes and give up :p

My advice would be to try and run the restore and reload the OS. Most laptops have an image partition that will bring it back to factory specs, but...

When was the last time your mom backed up all her data? If she has stuff on there that she needs, then it might not be a bad idea to try and put the hard drive in a USB case or use a cable that will mimic one, and try to get her data off the drive first before you slick it and reload.

My advice would be to try and run the restore and reload the OS. Most laptops have an image partition that will bring it back to factory specs, but...

When was the last time your mom backed up all her data? If she has stuff on there that she needs, then it might not be a bad idea to try and put the hard drive in a USB case or use a cable that will mimic one, and try to get her data off the drive first before you slick it and reload.

Nope, this computer doesn't have an image partition that will bring it back to factory specs. I have to use the disc. But I don't know how to do that if the computer can't even boot back to the desktop.

Yep, her data's already been backed up, that's not an issue.

In the black screen with the only mouse .. Try to press : ALT+CTRL+DELETE .. will this pring the taskmanager ?
and by the way , what is you system ? xp vista seven ???

Windows not starting up - YouTube

Here's a video of my laptop and how it starts up. I thought it would be useful to be able to actually see exactly how the computer is acting. At the beginning it asked to do startup repair, which I did, but that didn't help either.

Hey.

stupid question but it is possible that you are using a pirated version of windows? I have heard that microsoft blacks out the screen when windows has an invalid serial number or the software has not been activated after 30 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom