Windows not Genuine!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune20

Solid State Member
I've had my laptop now for about 9 months and I bought it with win xp home legally at a micro center. Just now it says that the copy is not genuine. What do I do? I never did any hackin crap or anything to windows ever. It says im a victim of software conterfiting when I bought xp?!?!!?

Please help thanks.

Your best bet is to follow those links that M$ gives and give them the info they need to follow up and see if you were a victim of counterifting.

But you can just call the tech support line and get it reactivated also.

Microsoft is basically doing this to every Windows XP Home user. They're getting a little worried, so they put out a new update where you have to phone them to re-activate.

Well, Im not a victim of conterfiting because I DID buy my laptop with XP home in it so im not a victim, right? I didnt hack or steal XP.

You aren't a victim, but Microsoft cant tell the difference between anybody...they cant tell if you bought it or not.

microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ that is the link they provided me with. Said I had activated mine too many times. And went away the next day.

(I left the www off on purpose btw.)

You still can be a victim of piracy even though you bought it with XP on it. If you got it form a VERY reputable company then you can be assured it is legit. But if you got it from a corner shop then i would think that maybe you did get a bad copy.

Just cause you buy a PC with XP on it doesnt make it legit. If thats the case buy your next one from me as i have plenty of serials that arent legit but i can still install with.

In the end you just have to contact M$ and get them to give you the new ID for you to activate it again.

he's legit. microcenter is a legit company. MS is a Ahole.

they did this a few year back when they lock every computer that they thought had a copy pirated windows. problem was...

they locked thousand of legit computers too. so they made up a story about a virus (msblast) causing the problems

the truth of the matter is ms can't tell if every computer isn't geniune or not. they will try though because they don't care. I suspect they will try locking them again in the near future

most company like dell sony, ibm and hp will use a corporate copy to install xp, yet put a different serial on the computer because they actually purchase that license on the side, yet it wouldn't be economical to manual install each serial to each computer, then activate them.
it's easier to use one corporate cd (image) with no activation required to install on all computers then slap a legit serial on the side

what kind of laptop is it? I can probably help you restore it

I have a Compaq Presario M2000 with xp home. They discontinued it like the day after I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom