Windows Minimum Processor State (Power Settings)

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys,

So I've just gotten into an argument over this and what exactly it does to the system. To my understanding, cranking the Minimum processor state to 100% means that its clock speed will consistently stay at the maximum that the CPU can put out, but with increased temperatures as a result. (And also increased power usage). My question is, is there any reason whatsoever that this setting should be changed from the default 5% on a desktop PC. Because I just got my *** chewed off by someone because apparently it "helps".

Having a CPU run at max clocks on an older PC would in my opinion, not benefit the system whatsoever for its remaining longevity, and if not properly cooled, could result in damage to the processor.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Luke

After speaking further with the guy, apparently it reduces the DPC Latency. After testing this personally with an i5 4460, I cannot see any noticeable difference (OR using DPC Latency Checker) between having Min Proc State at 5% and 100%.

It's mainly just for power savings. Less watts consumed = less heat + less overall power consumed by the system.

Back
Top Bottom