Windows ME repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

tctuner83

Solid State Member
I don't usually get to fix computer that are still running windows me that often and when I do I usually just say go buy a new computer. This person doesn't want to do that so I must fix it. The problem is that it won't boot to windows at all. At first it came up that was missing the hal.dll file from the system 32 folder. I replaced that, restart and now it's missing ntoskrnl.exe and I don't know how to replace that. I can't do a registry restore because it won't let me. I figured that if one file was missing I knew others where going to follow. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Holy mother of god. People are still running mistake edition? I would just refuse to work on it. That program never worked properly even when microsoft supported it.

Is there no automatic repair option on the boot disk?

I've looked as much as I'll let myself look. I already backed up everything on the drive that looked important. I can't get a hold of the person im fixing it for till tomorrow so I can't do anything like a clean install or just throw it out the window

Maybe I'm mistaken, but why would ME be looking for ntoskrnl.exe?

Either way, clean install will save you the most headache. (Just make sure they have backups!)

mBernhardt is right. ME shouldnt be looking for ntoskrnl. The reason. ME did not use NT for anything. XP was the first to implement both 9x platform and NT platform. ME was the last one to be stricly 9x. So a format would be your best answer.

Plus i think veedub is right. There is no repair function with ME.

What hacks me off so much about mistake edition is that i actually paid for a legit version of it when i bought my machine back in 2000. I ended up installing a bootleg copy of xp after dealing with it for a month and giving up.

One thing i noticed about ME was at first it would run fine but would degrade real fast over time. Like 3 months.

ME had a lot of security issues. Spyware and viruses used to be the biggest threat. FAT32 always had security issues because of no local permissions. Plus the OS was terribly designed because so much of the original plans for the OS were scrapped due to time constraints. Look at vista what happened to the windows file system was thrown out due to time constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom