Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidwell28

Baseband Member
I know this is pathetic but, I am working on a customer's machine. I needed to reload the windows ME and their old dell came with a disk. I know Windows ME is an upgrade from either Windows 2000, Windows 95, or Windows 98. So, when I reinstall ME over their old copy of ME just to get rid of all the junk on the HDD it will not boot past the Windows ME loading screen. Do I have to load one of the older versions to be able to install this?

Thanks,
Kidwell28

P.S. The CD is a Dell OS disk that says "for the reinstallation of Windows ME"

No you do not have to install an older version to install ME unless its an uprade. It does not appear you have an upgrade didk. If you could talk the customer into using 98 or 2000 that would be a better os. Just run fdisk format the drive and you should have no problems reinstalling ME (if you really want to)

I tried to get them to change, but they want their ME. Which, of course, is worthless but it's what they want. It came with the System and they don't want to pay to get a different copy.

Kidwell28

Some of the "recovery" disks that come with a new PC back then are garbage. They aren't the OS but just enough to repair the OS. If you formatted the HD it may not work at all. Those older recovery disks are made to just pop it in and let it run without formatting. You may be out of luck. Or rather the customer may be out of luck. Tell em the disk is bad and they will have to buy a new one. Of course that MAY be the truth. Have them browse ebay for a full copy of ME. You might also mention to them they can get a brand new PC at wal mart pretty cheap these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom