windows mail? live mail? outlook express? huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont have to setup a hotmail or live email account. You can setup any account you want. It just defaults to those due to the fact that those are Microsoft based email accounts. Just select to set it up manually and it will give you the option to input all the information.

it says it has to be @hotmail, @passport, or @msn though?

i think i have it figured out now :|

EDIT2: even though it said everything is okay it's not sending or receiving mail :| but on the online thing I can check it and messages have been received/sent :|

Why dont you set up a email account that you know the information for. Like a GMail account so you can test everything out to know they work. With personal sites you may need to add encryption like SSL or TLS. You may need to have it sign on with the secure password authentication method. Maybe you dont. Without knowing if you first have a working account or without knowing how your personal sites email works we cant be of any real assistance.

Your best option will be to contact your host.

You may need to have it setup so that where it says user name you have the domain (the @domain.com) included and not just the user name. You may not. you may need SPA, SSL, TSL or you may not. Only the host will be able to tell you for sure. All we can do is guess and our guesses are going to be wrong cause we dont know what your host requires for you to use domain email accounts.

It's telling me exactly what to do in and i'm doing it exactly how they say...for two different clients and neither wants to work :| I contacted support they gave me a link to video tutorials, they don't have one for live mail and the mozilla one is for a really old version :|

I've even tried making a new e-mail account and trying it...still a no go.

Tried my yahoo, says everything is fine but I needed a yahoo plus account, hotmail works perfect, gmail told me I just needed to enable IMAP in my settings on my gmail...but the ones for my website refuse to work :(

Okay..I got it to work in windows live..but it's still a no go in the mozilla..but I guess that doesn't matter now since I got this one to work

Mozilla shouldnt be to different than Live Mail. The options will be the same and carry over. No matter what client you use. You could use Evolution in Ubuntu with the proper POP and STMP settings.

The things needed to be known:

pop.domain.com
smtp.domain.com

If you need SPA, SSL, TSL and if you need to have the domain as part of the user name as well.

If you know that information you should be able to just plug in that information in any email client and use it. I have used the same information to use my Tech-Forums email in every client from Outlook Express to Windows Mail, to Live Mail to Outlook 2003-2010 and Evolution in Ubuntu without needing anything else.

Well they gave me EVERYTHING to plug in ...port numbers, incoming server, outgoing server, ssl/tsl IMAP, etc etc etc

but the mozilla one still refuses to work even if I put in the same exact stuff as the windows live :\

oh well lol..i guess I'll figure that out at some point though

it's still not letting me send mail to others though :| even to myself, I can receive fine but I can't send it. Changed the port manually on the outgoing server, set the secure log in settings (it requires it) and fiddled with everything else :\

EDIT: after screwing around with the mozilla thing forever I got it to finally send

thread can be closed now...thanks mak, puddle,lex, and joe

I'm very happe user of Thunderbird on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. Have like 6 different email accounts via IMAP and it works pretty well. I could say it is better product from Mozilla as Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom