windows learning software for kids

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
my kid is just starting to read and I have a small desktop set up for him
anyone have recommendations for best way to teach a kid how to use a PC?
he knows how to use a tablet/phone etc.

This is an absolute excellent question because I have thought about this my self and also talked to my sister about this for my Nephew . I my self have no children but I have asked my sister to think about about obviously her son but my Nephew to look in too basic interactions and in particular Nix* and security.

My recommendations for her was simple Linux CLI learning such as:

pwd
whoami
cd
ls -a
ls

If you can master the basics of Linux and understand the difference between the likes of Debian and Fedora etc: build up your sons knowledge from first approaching that PC (or Terminal) to sitting down and physically interacting with it in order to achieve a goal such as even a OS installation.

With your son now understand the basic concept of Mobile Phones, sitting down and focusing on a PC and what goes on in the screen should be pretty straight forward if you can get him in too the software side of things. I would recommend Software first and then hardware second because to have both they need to be built as a package such as we see with the likes of AMD and Intel. When they build these chips they are designed using software from the ground up so if you can even over the next 5 years tech him say over the next 5 years what the different languages do and what they can achieve its a good starting point.

I my self with I had someone do this for because I know a lot about hardware to an extent but I'm not so good with software. I can use Linux, but recently I had to fix a HDD with a F*d partition and had to get help from iFargle. I would of known this had I been taught to understand the differences between file systems and also I didn't even know I could fix an NTFS partition using Nix*

If you can teach him and even give your son a starting point in the world of tech say software yeah but also say using and interacting let alone how to program say buy your sons teens the world will be his oyster and with a mentor at that age what is could be doing in just ten years is unreal.

Look at you tube. He could him self be teaching people and with compulsory eduction he could go off to college or Uni. Thats what I wanted for my Nephew anyways.

Good luck.

I don't think it's easy to get a child into the software side until they actually learn to use the software, at least use gui first, etc. then teach command line

Do you want your child to become more technical?

is there anything that voices out the mouse over buttons?
he doesn't know what they mean yet or can read good enough to understand on his own

Sorry, I'm not doctor, but have been whole my life teacher and school headmaster. And that's why I want to ask. Are You sure, you are in good health? Or is it some kind of concussion caused problem with You?
Sorry if I was wrong with the diagnosis, but first is better to give him some children's books.

kalju. please do not reply to my posts anymore.
your replies are complete nonsense.
you assume alot without actually knowing how to read english

How old is the child? I did the same with my son as my dad did with me. Handed him a computer and said there ya go. He figured out how to launch stuff, and play games on his own with minimal help. It also helped him with his spelling and reading along the way.

I've got grand kids. The older one's no longer use the software because they found out that you tube videos are more entertainment but the 3 yr old likes Child's Play and Tux Paint
Child's play:
Childsplay
and Tux Paint
Tux Paint
Open source software and for pre-school

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom