Windows on laptop running slow, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkmacbevo

Beta member
I obviously don't have a clue on how to clean up a system running windows. Recovery disk is almost full, everything is so junked up, where do I start?

First of all, what version of Windows do you have?

I would suggest CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Any AV you may have, any apps you no longer use, uninstall.

Also got to Run, type in msconfig Look at the startup tab. Uncheck all the items but the ones you do know you need.

You can also try to speed up your PC is by downloading a copy of Advanced systemcare 5. I am running that on my system right now and in my option it works great. The program does a Full Malware Removal, Deep Registry Fix, Registry defragment, System Optimization, Startup Optimization, Shortcut fix, Junk Files Clean, Security Defense, Disk Scan, Vulnerability Fix and a Disk defragment when you select the option for deep care. Although, It does a malware scan but if your really infected where the program can't remove it then I would suggest using the Malwarebytes that "MindoverMaster" suggested.

Registry fixes do nothing for your computer speeds.
Cleaning the registry can make a huge difference in speed (usually in loading times), particularly on windows installs which are a few years old or older. Ofc there can be issues (though KSoD's the only one I know who has, he's worked with a lot more computers than I have).

Cleaning the registry can make a huge difference in speed (usually in loading times), particularly on windows installs which are a few years old or older. Ofc there can be issues (though KSoD's the only one I know who has, he's worked with a lot more computers than I have).

No it wont. That speed gain you get is nothing you can notice. The Registry is nothing but a text file that tells Windows where the locations for specific files are when you click on an executable. So no you will not get any gain in speed and in fact you could cause more harm than good causing the computer to have to search for these files in the Registry after you "clean" it out.

Look at it this way. You have a Registry with 2,000 entries. Entry 1,342 is now deactive. You run your cleaner. It removes the files. Now after you do this, you run a program. Lets say that this program uses the final registry entry of 2,000. But oh no! There is no longer 2,000 entries as you just deleted one and now have 1,999. So now your system has to scan all of the entries to find the proper one. Causing your load times to be greater as it has to scan 1,999 entries till it finds the proper one. Even worse, if the Registry Cleaner is not good, it will remove entries that are not active but the programs will still be installed.

So no you dont gain anything from a Registry Cleaner, no speed boosts. It is all in your head as anything that deals with the Registry is measured in nano seconds, something the human eye can't see. Sorry to pop this bubble over and over again. But there is no proof that a Registry Cleaner speeds up a system. The so called proof of running CCleaner isnt from just the Registry Cleaner, but from the other crap it cleans off the system like Temp Files and deleted Shortcuts and links. Running a benchmark app, doing the registry aspect alone, then running the benchmark again will not get you any different results.

You can also try to speed up your PC is by downloading a copy of Advanced systemcare 5. I am running that on my system right now and in my option it works great. The program does a Full Malware Removal, Deep Registry Fix, Registry defragment, System Optimization, Startup Optimization, Shortcut fix, Junk Files Clean, Security Defense, Disk Scan, Vulnerability Fix and a Disk defragment when you select the option for deep care. Although, It does a malware scan but if your really infected where the program can't remove it then I would suggest using the Malwarebytes that "MindoverMaster" suggested.

Sorry buy to get something that is already built into Windows is kinda silly.

CleanMgr
Defrag
Disk Check
msconfig

Right there are 4 tools that come with Windows that take care of most of the stuff you mention. I would like to know what Malware scanner they use before I would even begin to give compliments about that aspect.

As for the Registry thing, read above.

So yeah you just downloaded a tool that you already had. Not sure what the difference is between using the one you downloaded and the ones I mention, but for my money I will trust the guys who created the OS to do these things and not some 3rd party guys who dont have access to all the code. But that is just me. What do I know...

Do any of the four run CDs mentioned above clean up the recovery disk? I am running windows vista
I thought the recovery disk is the default manufacture settings that can revert to back to 'original state' if something goes wrong. If it is that, then you cannot clean that :umm:.
When I get to command prompt and type in cleanmgr it is not recognized as a command
Just type it into the Run dialog, you do not need to open command prompt for the command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom