Windows Key + L Shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Windows XP

I used to use Windows Key + L to switch users/lock my account like 20 times every day.
Now it's not working for some reason... it just doesn't do anything.
Window key works for all other shortcuts, etc.

I googled it and it appears that I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem, but I couldn't find any fixes or reasons why it stopped working.

I tried with "Use Fast User Switching" checked and unchecked, but it didn't make a difference.

Halp!

you could always make a desktop shortcut by doing this:
  • Right click an empty area of your desktop,
  • choose New/Shortcut and enter this line as the command:
    rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation
That would work as a temporary fix, have you rebooted lately? (Sorry gotta ask :p)

Yeah, window E, R, etc work.

And it's the same as everyone else who has this problem... sometimes when I reboot it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't.

I'll try the sfc thing and report back when I get home.

If it doesn't work and I do the desktop shortcut method... is there any way that I don't actually have to have a shortcut on my desktop? I don't like having icons on it...

I know some keyboards are a bit picky about which keys are pressed at the same time or how many get pressed at the same time, and it can get really bad over time.. So have you tried a different keyboard?

Yeah, window E, R, etc work.

And it's the same as everyone else who has this problem... sometimes when I reboot it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't.

I'll try the sfc thing and report back when I get home.

If it doesn't work and I do the desktop shortcut method... is there any way that I don't actually have to have a shortcut on my desktop? I don't like having icons on it...

Well you would always put the shortcut anywhere (your C Drive even!) and drag a copy of it to Quick Launch :D

I know some keyboards are a bit picky about which keys are pressed at the same time or how many get pressed at the same time, and it can get really bad over time.. So have you tried a different keyboard?

no I haven't.

it's one of the saitek keyboards that everyone uses... would have a hard time believing its a problem with the computer :/

IMO try a different keyboard for a bit... I have seen a few reviews about some of the saiteks being that way... Like you could press two keys on the left side or right side at the same time, but spreading it out for some reason sometimes messes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom