windows just installed computer wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay once it finishes installing [its formatting the drive to ntfs for now...], what boot order should i put? or should i set the defualt boot options, or will it do it automatically...
[i have one hard drive, one floppy, 2cd rom]

it still doesnt work
what im wondering is if it even finishes installing at all...
it says "setup is copying files to windows folder...." gets to a 100%, "restarting system" and wala the disk read error

okay i got it
i used a different install disc i had...setup finished , only problem was drive showed up as 126gig only.... so im re-erasing it and reinstalling the windows that worked

the xp disc. make partitions on the setup screen. hit c to create partition instead of enter to install xp

yes well the problem with that is that even at that point the "unpartitioned space" is only 120something gigs... whereas seatools says 300...

i tried making a 30 partition and installing.... now in disc manager it shows a 30 partition ..and only 90something unallocated...

dankity said:
yes well the problem with that is that even at that point the "unpartitioned space" is only 120something gigs... whereas seatools says 300...

i tried making a 30 partition and installing.... now in disc manager it shows a 30 partition ..and only 90something unallocated...

delete it and start over. systems before xp sp2 only recognize 137 gig (which equals 126 in the real world)

so how will starting over help?
in the setup itself it only recognizes 136 or however much...

i do however have my old 40gig with windows on it, should i boot up from that and then use it to partition the new drive...will it then show up full size when i install windows?

Boot with your old hard drive and place your new hard drive as a secondary drive (make sure you move the jumper). Do a check disk on the new hard drive, you might have a few bad sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom