Windows jokeware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
Let me start out by saying this is not a bash @ MS I personaly am a true blue Win fan, but I have some issues with a few on-board programs that Windows includes in their OS that just don't work either most of the time or next to never.

1. System restore, 90% of the time it never works for anyone, 99% of the time it never works for me. so by default as soon as I install Win any version I turn it off. the only thing that has worked for me is in advance (F8) options during boot, "Last known good configuration" this seems to fix what ever just went wrong.

2. MCE. Media Center Edition. I have bought 3 TV tuner cards and the last one that I bought and still use was rated to work with MCE out of box, and after MS updates and installing the MCE codec that came with my tuner card software disc. it never works correctly I try everything and nothing about that program ever functions correctly. I have tried every single version they have put out, including the one in Win 7 Beta 1.

Why do they bother putting these on the OS if they don't even work most of the time, they have been working on windows since the 1980's should they have not addressed these issues by now.

How many TV tuner cards do I need to buy before I find one that actually works with it? PVR or soft PVR it should bloody work with any of them.

and my ADS Tuner Card is PVR not soft PVR like the other 2

This is like saying why cant i create high quality 3d drawings with MS paint lol. These are just added on to give minimal functionality to the everyday user. People who need these items to be on a playing field that suites them better is what makes 3rd party software thrive.

I would be happy with minimal functionality lol.. and if MCE worked maybe Nero and Roxio wouldn't have to bloat their programs out with their own version of MCE which are almost as bad but at least theirs work lol.

I also forgot the ever updating Win Defender that has never so much as done anything besides update new definitions.

I have had no issues with System Restore any time i have ever used it. I know of several people on this site alone that use MCE in XP and Vista with no issues.

So maybe you shouldnt be trying to use MCE on a Beta where Driver functionality is already limited.

There is nothing wrong with these features. They have worked fine for me and many others. EricB uses MCE all the time and doesnt complain about it. I suggest System Restore all the time to people and no where near 90% of them say they failed.

So i dont know where you got your numbers from or why you are gripping about a Beta. Cause that just makes this thread jokeware. It is a BETA.

I have had no issues with System Restore any time i have ever used it. I know of several people on this site alone that use MCE in XP and Vista with no issues.

So maybe you shouldnt be trying to use MCE on a Beta where Driver functionality is already limited.

There is nothing wrong with these features. They have worked fine for me and many others. EricB uses MCE all the time and doesnt complain about it. I suggest System Restore all the time to people and no where near 90% of them say they failed.

So i dont know where you got your numbers from or why you are gripping about a Beta. Cause that just makes this thread jokeware. It is a BETA.

Well for some reason I feel like this is an attack on me personally and you defend these programs as if it were an attack on you.

If you were to do a pole on how many people have had success with these programs I know you would be shocked on how many ppl had these same problems.

I over the years have talked with many ppl who have had these same issues with these programs and the Beta is not the problem I have not tried the Sys restore on the Beta yet and have read here recently that it isn't even turned on in the Beta.

So please try and offer your two cents with out insulting the poster, I am sorry if the tittle of the post insulted you

I gotta agree with Mak, I don't have any problems with said OS or functionality either. And.... you really never stated an issue, just that it "never works". Sys restore has been around for a long time and I used it on client systems many times to get out of a pinch.

If I said that 99% of the time Frosted Flakes just "never worked" for me.. i hate it.. bah!
Wouldn't you be curious to know that I was trying to eat it with a fork drenched in OJ all this time instead of some milk with a spoon?

Perhaps, stop *****ing and give some detailed feedback to some of your problems and/or issues?

You did not insult me. Nor did i insult you. So please try to stay calm.

I help many people over many forums and of the people i help very few every have said what you have about MCE and System Restore.

Of the 4 years on this site there has been only a few instances of MCE or System Restore not working, on the other sites i am on including Microsoft Newsgroups and Microsoft Forums there is less than 2% of people that have ever expressed what you have said.

I am merely expressing how i can not agree with your statement cause i do not see it over the 5 different forums that are not M$ related and the 2 M$ Forums and 10 or more newsgroups that i visit. So of the 20 or so sites that i work with numerous people to have less than 2% share your experience to me does not constitute the numbers you are claiming.

A search on this site alone for System Restore Failures brings up only 23 threads. A Search for MCE failures brings up no results. Media Center Issues only brings up 48 threads. I did not comb through those topics to see if they even contained the information in reagards to the specifics described in the search. But for the amount of topics we have in just the Windows area alone to meet your 90% failure rate remark there would be many more topics than 28 in regards to System restore failures.

I would not be shocked by the number of failures. I know that it doesnt work all the time. I know that the System Restore, epically in the Beta, is very flawed. But it does work for many people.

I am merely going by what you remarked and stating that your claims do not even match the numbers on this site alone. There is over 1,100 pages of threads at 40 topics per page. That is over 44,000 topics. To have 28 total with a search that says anything about System Restore Failure is not near what you claim.

I am sorry that you felt this was a attack at you. It wasnt. I am merely pointing out what i see. You have provided much good feedback and insite to many things. But when i see something that even this forum cant back up in search results, i am going to say something.

To have less than 100 topics in total in a search in regards to Media Center Issues and System Restore Issues i am sorry but i dont see how your numbers can match that of even this site.

I am sorry that you and the people you talk to have this issue. But to claim the numbers and the percentages you have is not correct. That is where my issue lies.

I gotta agree with Mak, I don't have any problems with said OS or functionality either. And.... you really never stated an issue, just that it "never works". Sys restore has been around for a long time and I used it on client systems many times to get out of a pinch.

If I said that 99% of the time Frosted Flakes just "never worked" for me.. i hate it.. bah!
Wouldn't you be curious to know that I was trying to eat it with a fork drenched in OJ all this time instead of some milk with a spoon?

Stop *****ing and give some detailed feedback

Details.. ok 99% of the time that I had something go south after installing a new program and tried to use sys restore it did not restore to the previous date, I have no idea why it didn't work other than it didn't work but I have had 100% success with "Last Known Good Configuration" in advance settings.

but with me I am just 1 person in a pool of millions of Win users, but I have had @ least ten other ppl tell me the same thing.

again I say make a pole for this and then everyone can decide from that.

Edit: well maybe 99% for me (just me) = 10 times, 9 out of 10 times it did not work for me and maybe the number for ppl that I spoke with was closer to 50% as they may not have told me when they had success only non success, sorry if my numbers are off.

ok, sounds good!

what are we deciding again?

and... am I making the poll or are you making the poll?

Hampton,

Again i am sorry that this doesnt seem to work for you. I am not taking shots at you. I am merely disagreeing with your numbers that you claimed. As i have not seen those types of numbers anywhere.

Yes System Restore can fail. Yes it doesnt always work as System Restore points can themselves be infected or be affected before the restore point is made and cause them not to work.

As i just said, the system is not perfect. But there is no perfect way to get this working on any OS. OS X Time Machine doesnt always work, Linux with all their stuff doesnt always work. There is never a 100% full proof way to haev something work.

The best thing that can be said is to get your system to where you want it and make a image of the drive at that point. That will be closest you can get to a 100% fix rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom