Windows Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmarks

Beta member
I have a Compaq Presario 1247 that came from the factory preinstalled with Windows 98. I entered Setup to change the boot order to the CD drive to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional. The installation appeared to go normally; however, when the installation was complete and the computer rebooted, it booted only to the blank blue screen that precedes the Desktop display, then shut off and rebooted again. It continues this until I manually shut the system down. I then booted from the CD drive again with the computer's Recovery CD in the drive and received this message:

"THE DATA REQUIRED TO RESTORE YOUR MACHINE FROM D DRIVE IS NOT PRESENT. PLEASE CONTACT COMPAQ CUSTOMER SERVICE"

I contacted HP....this is their response:

START:
I understand that when you trying to perform full recovery from the
Quick Restore Disks, you got an error message.

After reviewing the error message you have got, I came to know that the
Quick Restore Disks are corrupted. As the Quick Restore Disks are
corrupted, you need to purchase the new set of Quick Restore Disks. As
the Microsoft has stopped the Windows 95 and 98 Operating System, I
request you to contact any of your retailer to purchase the retail
version of Quick Restore disks. So that, we can help you with the
drivers that are available for the windows 98 Operating System.

For your convenience I am also providing you the link to download the
drivers for the Windows 98 Operating System:

HP Customer Care local language selection 
END

I then downloaded a Windows 98 boot disk from bootdisk.com, deleted the existing partition, created another, and then followed the prompts to reinstall Windows 98 using the recovery disk. That too failed, as the files on the CD did not match up with the prompts. For the heck of it, I repeated the steps, then tried using the Windows 2000 CD, but it too failed to match up with the instructions.

I then used Killdisk to wipe the hard drive and started over. The installation of Windows 2000 completed normally; I removed the CD when prompted and the computer restarted. It booted the the default Windows blue background, then stopped. It did not restart again; instead it remained a blank blue display.

The computer detected the files on the CD (but the drive letter for the CD-rom was E, which might explain the error message when attempting to use the Recovery Disk....), but that's it. The disk should not have had any scratches, as it had never been removed from it's sleeve. Could the missing data possibly be drivers? Can drivers be installed without going through Windows? Or might I be able to change the drive letter from E to D in BIOS?

Is this possibly a faulty hard drive? There was no problem with it prior to the first attempt at installing Windows 2000 Or did I do something wrong? How might I resolve it? Would formatting the partition with the NTFS file system instead of the FAT32 have anything to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom