Solid State Member
Just finished the rig...here's teh specs:

amd athlon 4000
asus a8n-e
ocz 2x1gb
37gb raptor
2 - 80gb caviar in raid
evga 7900gt

computer starts up great and goes through POST smoothly. problem is, when i throw in a copy of windows (friend gave it to me...worked on his comp) the screen flashes with what looks like the installer starting and suddenly goes to a black screen with a blinking underscore. what gives? any help is much appreciated

im a huge newb but you sure your primary loading device is the cd?
it does a underscore when you have hdd as your primary and says to boot from cd press "something"

i do have the optical set as primary

doing some research i'm seeing that XP does not recognize SATA hdd on install without drivers...could that be the case why the installer will only flash for a second and go to the black screen?

or could it be a faulty setting in the BIOS?

great...unfortunately the geniuses at compaq decided a floppy drive wasn't neccesary for the comp im on...i guess im going to have to uninstall from mine and temporarily put it on this comp.

sorry for the double post and newb question but will i be able to install the drivers from dos?

not exactly sure what you mean by that...the drives are being detected if thats what your saying

no i haven't but do you guys think that it could have something to do with me not updating the bios in the first place and im still unclear how to install (if it's possible/necessary) the sata etc. drivers in DOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom