Windows Install Discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
I'm always doing repairs on PCs for friends and family members, so I find myself frequently re-installing Windows. It seems like people often times have lost their Windows discs by the time I get the computer. Is there somewhere I could order a collection of various Windows install CDs.

There are soooo many...

Each generation of Windows has numerous versions you need three times the install discs: OEM, Retail, Enterpise...

Thanks Guys!

There is no place that you can get them in a collection legally. You will have to purchase MSDN or TechNET in order to get them.

If you can get one XP disk, you can change the Pid of the disk so you can use any version you need at that time (oem, retail, enterprise). This is not violation M$ licensing because you'll still need a valid windows key to activate the windows install

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

It is still illegal. By modifying the setup.ini file you are making a modification to the install disk. If you read the EULA it says right in there that you will not make any modifications to the setup procedure. This would include changing the Pid. So even though you still need a serial to activate, you are still violating the EULA and TOS by modifying the file in the first place.

It can be debatable because it is more of a grey area. There is no de-compiling or modifying the software per se if your using windows software with windows software. I reckon that you also consider creating an XP slip disk illegal too?

No cause Microsoft offers ways to create those disks using the tools they provide. But to get the disk the way you suggest is de-compiling the software to modify it to be used in a way that is not intended from Microsoft.

You said it yourself, there is no de-compiling or modifying the software, to make the XP install disk universal from a single XP Disk is modifying it. It doesn't matter if it is within Windows or within Linux or even OS X. It is still being modified to an extent that they did not intend. That is what makes it illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom