Windows Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnOfDoom

Daemon Poster
Okay so here's how it goes Me and a friend took all his old hardware out of his HP and put it in this new case he got since we were going to replace the hard drive because his hard drive failed. so..... we got the case and we have everything transfered over and we just booted up and its giving us a System Fan Error "to prevent furthur damage bla bla bla run a diagnostics test press f2 to continue. We do that and it says insert the windows repair CD and we do that
and it all goes good and when the install loads the entire CD and it gives us the option of repair or enter to install. we hit enter. and it gives us this error message.

setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives.png

Now we dont know what to do :/ So thats why we're posting here because we know techforums is THE BEST! :D

Thanks for any help guys.

well...does the bios see it ok?

AND, since you said "we were going to replace the hard drive..." is this the old drive or a new drive? :p

we get an automatic error when we start up the PC but we can still get into choosing what boots first and the bios does see it and says its in RAID 0 Dunno what that means but okay

and its a brand new Sata Hard drive from Newegg.

What's the HDD mode set to in the BIOS? IDE or AHCI? If it's AHCI or RAID, change it to IDE, and you won't have to use drivers to install the HDD. Because that's what its looking for: RAID drivers. So go into your BIOS, and look around until you find something like AHCI mode, RAID mode, SATA Native mode, etc. Anything dealing w/ those types of connections, and change 'em to IDE.

also just curious, but is your system fan plugged in? also, are you using your old hdd?

This is DawnOfDoom's friend, the one he was helping.

Yes, the system fan is plugged in, and no we weren't using my old HDD. Not really sure about what the other person was saying about BIOS, but DOD just left my house to go home so I can't ask him.

Called my uncle a couple of hours ago and he said the problem was the reinstall disc I was using was made by Dell and my CPU and all that is made by HP, and the Dell disc is trying to find a different connection but I'm using SATA.

So the problem's solved, my uncle's gonna gather some of his cds and mail them to me. Thanks anyways guys!

What's the HDD mode set to in the BIOS? IDE or AHCI? If it's AHCI or RAID, change it to IDE, and you won't have to use drivers to install the HDD. Because that's what its looking for: RAID drivers. So go into your BIOS, and look around until you find something like AHCI mode, RAID mode, SATA Native mode, etc. Anything dealing w/ those types of connections, and change 'em to IDE.

this would be great if we could get into an actual bios but the motherboard was manufactured by HP. So i dont think we can get into the bios. if so how? also Aulims is indeed the friend i was helping so he's telling the truth.

we will see what we can do with the CD's that his uncle is mailing to us. The fact that the install disk is a dell one isnt probably helping at all.

also everything about this computer is the same as what it was before all the same hard ware except the brand new HDD

This is DawnOfDoom's friend, the one he was helping.

Yes, the system fan is plugged in, and no we weren't using my old HDD. Not really sure about what the other person was saying about BIOS, but DOD just left my house to go home so I can't ask him.

Called my uncle a couple of hours ago and he said the problem was the reinstall disc I was using was made by Dell and my CPU and all that is made by HP, and the Dell disc is trying to find a different connection but I'm using SATA.

So the problem's solved, my uncle's gonna gather some of his cds and mail them to me. Thanks anyways guys!
That still might not help.

Even a retail version of XP does not have support for SATA hard drives. So if you think that by using a Retail disk you problem will be solved you will be in for a shock when they arrive and you still can not install Windows.

You will need to find the make and manufacturer of the motherboard. From there you have to go to the website and get the SATA Drivers and put them on a floppy or USB Thumbdrive. From there you need to use the F6 to install 3rd party drivers step to install the SATA drivers in order for XP to see the SATA Drive.

You can also go thru the guide by Eric:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-keep-winxp-really-fast-stable-156582/

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-install-missing-drivers-182727/

That will also help.

Cheers,
Mak

this would be great if we could get into an actual bios but the motherboard was manufactured by HP. So i dont think we can get into the bios. if so how? also Aulims is indeed the friend i was helping so he's telling the truth.

we will see what we can do with the CD's that his uncle is mailing to us. The fact that the install disk is a dell one isnt probably helping at all.

also everything about this computer is the same as what it was before all the same hard ware except the brand new HDD

You can get into the BIOS, and change it. I've seen it able to be done personally on an HP laptop myself.

Just watch on the bootup messsage, "Pres XX to enter Setup." XX will be like F1, F2, F12, Del, or somethin like that.

That still might not help.

Even a retail version of XP does not have support for SATA hard drives. So if you think that by using a Retail disk you problem will be solved you will be in for a shock when they arrive and you still can not install Windows.

I'll make sure to take your advice if it doesn't work, but as far as I know my uncle is going to be sending me discs that do support SATA hard drives. I'm not really sure what he will be sending me though, so we just have to wait.

And if they don't work, thanks in advance for the advice.

Edit: Forgot to add that the discs aren't as much retail as they are repair and reinstallation discs that you get when you buy a computer. Only reason I'm not using one is because my HP only came with a lightscribe disc and a trial disc for AOL. But everything my uncle has that he'll be sending to me will be, like i said, repair and reinstallation discs that came from computers he bought. I sometimes think he also collects these types of discs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom