Windows home ediition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyfort

Solid State Member
Hi,

I want to reformat my harddrive and only have a windows home edition disc.
What's the difference between the two?
Can home edition run games like cs 1.6, or cs: source?

Yes. If it is XP there is Home and Pro. Pro has more options for networking than Home does but it will not affect you in any way.

If it is Vista there is Home Premium and Home Basic. Home Premium has Media Center and some other things as well that Basic doesnt.

But overall they will be able to do everything you want.

if my memory serve me correctly, home isn't the best thing for quad core. I think home only support 2 processors

if my memory serve me correctly, home isn't the best thing for quad core. I think home only support 2 processors

It supports multiple cores (logical CPU's), just not multiple physical CPU's I believe.

It will work with Quads. It can handle more than 2 cores, it is not compatible with more than 1 physical CPU. That is the limitation.

XP Home edition may throw a fit even if it has SP2 on teh disk. I have seen that error before. It was a glitch with the Home Edition of XP that cause teh cores to be shown as physical CPU's. I think there was a hotfix put out about it.

But i do know what EricB is talking about as i have seen that come up before. I think the resolution was to slipstream SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom