Windows Genuine Advantage Notification - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

Earlier today, windows was downloading updates (I have automatic updates switched on), and it installed Windows Genuine Advantage Notification. As far as I know, it's to check if people have a genuine copy of windows, and tells them it isn't a genuine copy if it's pirated, right? Well my copy of Windows XP IS genuine. When the update installed, I had to restart, as you do. I restarted and Zone Alarm popped up saying that Windows Genuine Advantage Notification wanted to access the internet, so I let it access the internet. Then nothing happened, didn't take me to any website or anything. But wgatray.exe (which Windows Genuine Advantage Notification installed) disappeared from the task manager processes when I let it access the internet. Since installation, every time I start up my computer, it asks for access to the internet through Zone Alarm. I

s this normal? Is my computer at risk from anything?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

turn ZA off and see what happens

Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I think it would access the net in order to validate your copy, I would hope it would only do it if u accessed windows update but i guess not.
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
turn ZA off and see what happens
But ZA always loads up when I start my comp up, and Windows Genuine Notification only asks for access when I start up.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

It's part of Windows update Checking to see if there are any important updates. The normal schedule still applies, but the program is always going to run at startup. just put it on the safe list and be done with it...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Inaris
It's part of Windows update Checking to see if there are any important updates. The normal schedule still applies, but the program is always going to run at startup. just put it on the safe list and be done with it...
Ah, okay. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Biohazard_2.0

To Turn off Zone Alarm without uninstalling to (temporaroly) go to start, then run, type in MSCONFIG then from there go to startup then UNCHECK Zone Alarm and when done click ok, then restart your computer let Win do its stuff and then you have to turn Zone Alarm Back on, Go To MSCONFIG again recheck Zone Alarm and give yourself a pat on the back