windows font stuck at 999 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 05:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default windows font stuck at 999

Hello,

Yesterday one of my friends changed the windows active title bar font to size 999. I can see no way of turning this bakc without a format or recovery, as even in safe mode all windows fill the whole screen with just the title bar so I cant even access anything to be able to change anything. The only way i could think of was, as the computer is networked with full permissions set on all windows folders, I could access the modified configuration files using another computer, change this and then reboot. I dont know if this is posible though or which config files set attributes for font sizes.

Any help would be much appreciated as the computer is pretty useless at the moment.

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Right Click on your desktop. Then Click on properties. Go to Appearance. Click on the Advance Tab. There should be the option to choose the Active Title Bar. From there you can reset the Font size back down to the size of your choice.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I can't because the title bar fills the screen. Therefore I am unable to navigate through menus etc. Is there any other way of being able to revert to a defalt setting or something?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

When Windows load after the BIOS screen adn BEFORE the Windows loading screen. (The one with the bar across teh bottom) Hit F8. From there select last know good boot config and see if that helps. If not then your only option would be a repair install. Unless you can somehow move the window to be able to navigate to the menu options.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the last good known config option didnt work and I dont really want to have to do a recovery, is there another way. I have full access to all the windows files as they are all shared with full permission across the LAN. What about copying some xp config files from a normal computer and replacing them with ones on the problem one. Although I first need to know which config file controls font sizes for windows, etc
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to M4A1

Quote:
Originally posted by matt09
I can't because the title bar fills the screen. Therefore I am unable to navigate through menus etc. Is there any other way of being able to revert to a defalt setting or something?
Since everythings so big, can't you "scroll" or "move" the screen around?

If the taskbar is showing, try pulling down the taskbar so you can see a little bit of the desktop that your taskbar was eating up. Then you could do what it said in Post #2.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Although it may sound easy that is very difficult to do. Because the screen is so big it has weird behavious such as that it will not drag bigger or smaller and it is rarely possible to be able to move it around the screen. Does anyone know the windows config file for window box attributes such as font style, size etc then i could simple copy and replace this with a default one.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

problem solved! i found the shortcut 'desk.cpl' that linked straight to one of the smaller windows which I was able to drag down eventually and change the font, dragging control panel was impossible.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to M4A1

Hey, congrats
Old 05-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to tommyboy123x

if it comes up again, you can always try changing your screen resolution to something unsupported for a few seconds ... something like 1280x1024... so that 999pxl would fill just most of the screen (i assume you have it on 800x600)

Dollar Hauler [dot] Com :)
Closed Thread