Windows Firewall vs. Zone Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
Hi guys,

So, what would you suggest?

I realize that windows firewall is pretty basic and doesn't really let you tweak things, but is it pretty secure?

I kind of get sick of Zone Alarm constantly popping up when you have the manual program control on....its pretty annoying.

I like Windows Firewall because it is pretty silent and clean....I was just a little worried it may not be too protective because of this.

any feedback is always appreciated,

thanks

a normal software firewall have application controls , the windows firewall have no appllication controls means that if youll somehow get infected by spyware/trojan it will not stop it from calling home also wont stop the hacker from getting in , the windows firewall is crap , if you dislike zonealarm try some other firewalls in my opinion outpost firewall pro is the best (but not free) , try jetico/kerio
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Jetico_Personal_Firewall/1077527060/1
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
(kerio isnt 100% freeware, after 30days some features will be disabled but it will still work)

I use Sygate Personal Edition. It has been aquired by Symantec and they discontinued it (Enterprise edition still available). You might be able to still find a copy.

syringe said:
I realize that windows firewall is pretty basic and doesn't really let you tweak things, but is it pretty secure?
The Windows firewall was meant to be a simple firewall solution that could be implemented by the broadest user base possible. For 90% of the users, it is perfectly acceptable. For the last 10% who are security freaks who really want control over every bit gate, they should acquire a dedicated software firewall application.

The Windows firewall does a good job of filtering through most of the crap, and under normal circumstances, is plenty. If you do a lot of fooling around or are interested in an industrial firewall, the plain-beans Windows firewall is probably not for you.

the old zone alarm was good, but the new one sucks. it continually ask you too many questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom