Windows Firewall vs. Zone Alarm - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to syringe
Default Windows Firewall vs. Zone Alarm

Hi guys,

So, what would you suggest?

I realize that windows firewall is pretty basic and doesn't really let you tweak things, but is it pretty secure?

I kind of get sick of Zone Alarm constantly popping up when you have the manual program control on....its pretty annoying.

I like Windows Firewall because it is pretty silent and clean....I was just a little worried it may not be too protective because of this.

any feedback is always appreciated,

thanks

Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

a normal software firewall have application controls , the windows firewall have no appllication controls means that if youll somehow get infected by spyware/trojan it will not stop it from calling home also wont stop the hacker from getting in , the windows firewall is crap , if you dislike zonealarm try some other firewalls in my opinion outpost firewall pro is the best (but not free) , try jetico/kerio
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...l/1077527060/1
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
(kerio isnt 100% freeware, after 30days some features will be disabled but it will still work)

Old 03-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

try vcom's firewall
Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I use Sygate Personal Edition. It has been aquired by Symantec and they discontinued it (Enterprise edition still available). You might be able to still find a copy.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Windows Firewall vs. Zone Alarm

Quote:
Originally posted by syringe
I realize that windows firewall is pretty basic and doesn't really let you tweak things, but is it pretty secure?
The Windows firewall was meant to be a simple firewall solution that could be implemented by the broadest user base possible. For 90% of the users, it is perfectly acceptable. For the last 10% who are security freaks who really want control over every bit gate, they should acquire a dedicated software firewall application.

The Windows firewall does a good job of filtering through most of the crap, and under normal circumstances, is plenty. If you do a lot of fooling around or are interested in an industrial firewall, the plain-beans Windows firewall is probably not for you.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

the old zone alarm was good, but the new one sucks. it continually ask you too many questions.

Closed Thread