Windows File Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1junkie

In Runtime
Hello Everyone,
I'm trying to delegate permissions to different users in a windows share environment, I want to make it so user1 can access a personal directory.

\\share1\folder1\user1\

without listing the contents of any previous folders.

IE: folder1 may also contain a folder user2, and I don't want user1 to be able to see the user2 folder while browsing \\share1\folder1\

What I'm looking for is a way to give the user only traversal rights to the folder.

I've already skimmed Microsoft Corporation
with little luck

Thanks
T1

So if you want user1 to only see eser1 folder, why not set the path yo \\share1\folder1\user1 on user1 pc.

And, \\share1\folder1\user2 on user2 pc.

or am I missing something?

You could also set the path for each user in a netlogon script to atuomatically define path of each users drive rights.

Using XP? You can specify explicit user permissions with the advanced file sharing.

Tools->Folder Options->View->Uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" at the bottom.

Now, your folder's properties window will have a advanced "Sharing" / "Security" tab where you can set the permissions.

I'm not entirely sure this will work for that, but it's worth a shot.

Currently I have the user's Home Directory set to map F: to \\share1\folder1\user1 I'll try setting up a mapping in the logon script.

This is Windows Server 2003, Vormund

-T1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom