Windows Explorer Wallpaper....!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyuri7

Solid State Member
At my school, we have NT boxes, and their Windows Explorer folders(ie. My Computer; My Documents; etc...) all have a wallpaper applied to them. I'm not an administrator, therefore I cannot change this picture, nor can I find out the process I must go through to do so. I have XP Pro at home, and would love to change these folders on my own computer to have a background image, like the ones at school do.
Just think about it... you open my documents and you see the stunning and beautiful character Yuna from Final Fantasy. =D

Would anyone know how this is done?

Thanks,
Yuri

from http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105860,pg,2,00.asp

To add wallpaper to a folder in XP, open the folder, choose Tools, Folder Options, and click the View tab. Under 'Advanced settings', select Show hidden files and folders (you may need to double-click Hidden files and folders first). Uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and click Yes when you see the warning. Click OK, and double-click the file named desktop.ini to open it in your text editor (you may not see the .ini extension). If you can't find a desktop.ini file, launch Notepad or your preferred text editor.

In your text editor, type [{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}] (this line contains no capital letter Os, only zeroes) on the first line, and press Enter. Type IconArea_Image= and the path to your .bmp, .gif, or .jpg image file--for example, 'IconArea_Image=C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Blue Hills.bmp.' Then press Enter.

Changing the color of the folder's icon labels is a little tricky. To leave the icon text black, do nothing. For white, type IconArea_Text=0x00FFFFFF (make sure that the x is lowercase) and press Enter. For red text, replace the code that follows the equal sign with 0x000000FF; to make the text yellow, type 0x0000FFFF; for blue text, use 0x00FF0000; and to show gray text, enter 0x00808080. These codes identify values in a 24-bit color scheme that specifies how much blue, green, and red to mix together: 0x00bbggrr (with values ranging from 0 in decimal or 00 in hexadecimal to 255 in decimal or FF in hexadecimal). If you're editing the folder's existing desktop.ini file, save the file and close your text editor. If you created the file from scratch, save it with the name "desktop.ini" in the folder that will house the background picture; use quotation marks to keep Notepad from adding its default .txt extension.

Now give the folder the System attribute. Put the folder window destined for the background picture in front. Press Backspace to move up a level, click Start, Run, type attrib +s followed by a space, and drag the icon for your desired folder to the text box of the Run dialog box. It should now read something like 'attrib +s C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Folder' (your path and folder name may differ, of course). Click OK. The next time you open the folder, you'll see your new wallpaper inside (see FIGURE 3). If you don't want to see the desktop.ini file, right-click it and choose Properties. Under the General tab, check Hidden and click OK. Then click Tools, Folder Options, View, and deselect the option to show hidden files and folders. While the Folder Options box is open, recheck Hide protected operating system files if you unchecked it earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom