Windows Explorer Slow to start large .exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme112

In Runtime
I first experienced this problem when I digital downloaded(legally on playspan.com) Call of Duty 4. I'm not sure If I should have posted this on a gaming forum but it seemed like a software kind of problem.

Anyway, when I opened the installation, it takes about 3 mins for windows to display the Allow or Cancel yellow box thingy. I click allow and it never opens or runs. And the whole computer go's really slow after that, so I end up restarting.

After a few restarts, this problem was fix when one day as I opened the installation, everything worked fine. Pop-up came up within a few seconds and installation went well.

When I also downloaded a mod for the game over a gig, it also had the same problem.

Why is that? It doesn't seem to happen on smaller .exe files.

Think your RAM is being used up. When you run a setup, it has to decompile all the files and put them in their designated places. That take a lot of RAM. How much do you have?

I have 4 gig ram, so I don'-`1t think RAM is a problem.

Here are my computer specs:

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM

I have 4 gig ram, so i dont think ram is a problem.

Sorry to inform you but 2046MB RAM does not equal 4GB of RAM. That is 2GB of RAM. So either you didnt get the configuration you ordered or the specs listed are wrong. Cause 2GB of RAM with Vista can easily be used up.

Dang. For whatever reason, I thought I had 4 gig ram for the 3 yrs I've owned this computer. Well thanks for the help!
I'll try to buy more RAM.

Edit:
I tried installing COD4 on my other 6 gig ram PC(I'm sure its 6 gig), and still a slow start. It has an AMD Quad core processor. Anyone know why its still like that?

This is basically a bump as I updated my post and it seems noone noticed.

PS I think my other pc is quad core as it says amd pheonom x4

Get some like like SiSandra Software or Belarc Advisor and post up some specs. Like CPU, RAM, Graphics card so we can get a better idea of what hardware your running. Along with that open your task manager and see how many tasks you have running and what is eating up a lot of your CPU cycles. When trying to run something intensive like COD this could very well be normal cause it has so much to load. Even with a Quad Core CPU that doesnt mean it will open and be ready to run instantly. If im not mistaken COD isnt setup to run and a SMP or Symmetrical Multi Processing program. So it is only really taxing 1 of the 4 cores to operate. At this point in time i dont think many games are setup to utilize all the cores of a CPU so they heavily tax 1 core to run which causes such long load times.

OS
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (Canada)

SYSTEM MODEL
HP-Pavilion GM441AA-ABA m8125x
System Serial Number: MXF7430G16
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor A
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board B
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Basswood3G 1.05
Serial Number: MS1C79R82700430
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.09 06/08/2007

Drives
Memory Modules c,d
400.09 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
111.04 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L [Optical drive]

Brother MFC-495CW USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Generic- Compact Flash USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic- SD/MMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
ST3400820AS [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Q96GB0L5, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules C,D
2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A3' is Empty

LOCAL DRIVE VOLUMES
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 390.80 GB 109.97 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 9.29 GB 1.08 GB free

Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 [Display adapter]
HP w2007 [Monitor] (20.0"vis, s/n CNN74619D9, November 2007)

Multimedia
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo
NVIDIA High Definition Audio (4x)
Realtek High Definition Audio

When COD installation loads fast, does it mean that it happens to use all the cores instead of one?
And also could it be because of Norton 360's Norton Insight?

My last post was my 2gb ram comp. I'm aware it needs more ram, but this issue also happens on my 6gb one. The 6th one's belarc report I'll post tomorrow. The current belarc report was on the 2gb. But it seems my 2gb can run large cd installations like bia Hells highway.
Also the 6 gb can't run the downloaded installation file for COD which may take out the ram being part of the problem.
I have another thread right now called RAM if you eant to check it out. I'll still post the 6 gb report tomorrow. If you want to know models are m8125x and a6650f.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom