"Windows Explorer Has Encountered a Problem blah blah" AND EVERYTHING ELSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandana159

Beta member
Hello, Today i have realised that there is a problem with windows explorer, yesterday it worked fine and today it comes up with the "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

I THINK the problem MAY have been that yesterday before my pc started it ran chkdsk utility before windows loaded and it worked fine. But today the problems started.

I cannot go on ANY programs such as System restore, control panel, task manager works but cannot perform anything, i can't go on mspaint, play games, browse the internet or anything and the only way i can move files is by using windows search.
I do not have ANY viruses, I use malwarebytes anti-malware and SUPERantispyware, i have defragged twice in the last week, i think the problem is just a corrupt dll but i'm not so sure.

I do have an error report:
"Error Signature: AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: urlmon.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001.18806 Offset: 00025d15"

System Specifications (From what i can remember because "System" DOES NOT work in task manager):
AMD athlon 2800+ 2083 MHz
Windows XP Professional Sevice pack 3
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb
2.25GB RAM

I know this " Windows explorer has stopped working" problem is a common one, but my problem seems to be a little bit different to every other one i've seen.
And i DO NOT want to reinstall windows xp and lose all of my data. I have Very important files on my pc.

If anyone knows how to fix this PLEASE Help me.
And remember i CANNOT use system restore, Explorer "CANNOT look in hard drives or disks", Task manager, safe mode, and cmd DO NOT work, because it just comes up with the same old problem.

I had the same problem when I installed SP3.. It was nothing but headaches for me. Almost sound like the problem win XP had when it was still somewhat new.

Roll back to SP2 and see how it goes. -In Safe mode.

I had the same problem when I installed SP3.. It was nothing but headaches for me. Almost sound like the problem win XP had when it was still somewhat new.

Roll back to SP2 and see how it goes. -In Safe mode.

Thanks for the advice but i cannot go to add/remove programs, even in safe mode.

*EDIT* And i can't go into system restore.

I have fixed the problem. I paid attention to the error report and replaced "urlmon.dll" With a fresh one downloaded from another pc, i restarted and now the computer is working fine.

Thanks for your help and time. I apologise for taking your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom