Windows Explorer hangs after W2k Sp4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma0934

Beta member
I've been running Windows 2000 Pro, Sp2, with no problems.
I've installed today Sp4; then, when Windows Explorer tries to look at disks of other machines on the LAN (for example, directory listing or running an .exe from another (cooperating) host), it hangs (or slows to an absolute crawl). This has never happened before.

The PC has a single NIC

Help will be appreciated - it's a big hassle

Try re-installing driver for the nic and check device manager for oth conflicts....
what mainboard is it? is it onboard nic?

Well, the problem was solved by taking the following steps (and I leave it to you experts to discern which step really fixed it):
a. Uninstalled Ad-Aware
b. Uninstalled Zone Alarm
c. Uninstalled TCP/IP and "Client for Microsoft Networks"
d. Re-installed W2k Sp4 (went very quickly since didn't need to actually copy files).
e. Re-installed TCP/IP and "Client for MS Networks".
f. Re-tweaked TCP/IP registry parameters for networking behind ICS/NAT (MTU etc.) (if anyone is interested, please reply and I'll list the new parameters).
g. Re-installed Zone Alarm
h. Re-installed Ad-Aware.

Whew!

Exactly!! "PHEW!""

After cruising through a number of forums and looking specifically for the Win2K SP4 threads,, I have come to the conclusion that SP4 is a pain in the A$$ for the average user.

I would suggest that anyone thinking of running SP4 ,, take a long and serious look at the Fixes provided in that Service Pack.

If you dont have anything that applies to your needs,, why run it,, just because its there doesnt mean that it is useful,,

Anyhow,, SP2 and SP3 seem to have the least number of complaints,,

cheers,

I agree, not only is keeping track of Microsoft SP information part of my normal job, but it's a major concern for me within my personal home environment. I always keep links to each SP fix page for OSs and apps that I have.
Here is the one for SP4 if anyone wants to check out the list.....prepare to take a full day to check it out!!!! LOL
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;327194
I'm a firm believer of not installing a SP just because it's newer or because Microsoft tells us to, now Hotfixes are a different story!
I gotta find a few solid reasons before I apply a SP.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom