windows explorer continues to show files of previous dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the reply,

i uninstalled cute dvd.
and tried 2 other burnt dvd's, they work fine.

so perhaps the dvd's that dont work on the desktop were burnt too fast, but surprisingly they work on my laptop, does that mean that the laptop has got a better dvd

Could be. That is always a option. NEC isnt that bad of a crand. But it is also generic and used in OEM MAchines. Try a Liteon DVD Drive. OR Plextor.

is being a generic drive bad? i guess plextor and lite-on drives are the best

i looked for drives and came up with the following

Lite-on DH-20A4P-21C IDE 20x DL DVD +/-R/RW RAM Black bare drive +software - DH-20A4P-21C - www.microdirect.co.uk
Pioneer DVD DVR-115DBK Black 20X +/-R/RW DL IDE OEM (Drive only)

Pioneer DVD DVR-115DBK Black 20X +/-R/RW DL IDE OEM (Drive only) - DVR-115DBK - www.microdirect.co.uk
Lite-on DH-20A4P-21C IDE 20x DL DVD +/-R/RW RAM Black bare drive +software

Pleaxtor 18 x DVD±RW/RAM With Black & Beige Bezals - Retail - Ebuyer
Pleaxtor 18 x DVD±RW/RAM With Black & Beige Bezals - Retail

and found the following plextor drive, i am planningto get a new pc next year, so not sure if i sould spend double/treble the cost on a plextor

what do you think of these drives?

i guess i can get rid of my sony drive since it is just a cd drive, are there any cd only drives out there or are cd only drives are a thing of the past?

CD only are a thing of the past. I have used Liteon almost exclusively since i started wtih PC's. I had a NEC in my Dell but removed it instantly and put in a Liteon. I have never had any issues with it. Plextor is expensive but it can even read scratched CD's. That is the appeal fo them.

Of the 3. I would choose the Liteon personally. First link 2nd description. ;)

thanks for the reply and the recommendation

do you think the lite-on can read scratched dvd's as well?

does the burn speed affect the dvd's, and some dvd RW are better at reading badly(?) burnt DVDs?

Lite-On can read some scratched material. Not as good as Plextor. But it is better than Sony or NEC.

From my experience i have seen that burning at the fastest speed usually creates a coaster. That is why i usually recommend to burn at half speed.

I use DVD-RW's as a 4.7GB Floppy drive. If you want something more permant then use DVD+/-R discs. The make can also be a factor. Getting the cheapest disc is not always te best thing. I have used Memorex for years and never had a issue. But others say that Memorex is junk. So they type of media used can also be a factor.

In my experience, the media is more of a factor than the DVD drive. I use a cheap generic DVD drive that came with my eMachines computer and I never burn anything at less than full speed. I never have problems. However, I have experienced problems with certain types of media. And sometimes it's not necessarily the brand, but the lot that was run. One case of Memorex DVD's may have more problems than another case of the same Memorex DVD's.

As for your earlier problem. Some of the older DVD drives can't play video DVD's that are made with DVD RW's. They can only play commercial DVD's or video DVD's made with DVD R discs. Maybe if you have an older drive, that was your problem.

thanks for the reply,

i have burnt a bunch of dvd's using dvd's (make mr.dvd :)) and i cant view the content from one of these dvds from this lot

the other dvd that i cant view is from hp (dvd-r 16x)

both the offending dvd's (mr.dvd and hp) can be accessed using my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom