Windows Explorer continually loops on Vista

ComputerNovice

Baseband Member
I have a 3 year old Toshiba laptop that runs Windows Vista. Never had any problems with it, until today. For the first time, I was attempting to transfer photos and video from my Android Samsung Exhibit II smart phone over to my laptop, via USB connection. For quite some time, the OS had difficulty loading or finding the drivers for the new connection to the phone. Kept looping and would fail, but eventually after an hour of me continually trying, the photos started to load, via an automatic dialogue box.

All went well, until the last few files were being loaded. That's when a pop-up box notified me that "Windows Explorer has stopped working, and that Windows is searching for a solution". Then, after that box goes away, a second pop-up will notify me that "Windows Explorer is restarting". The entire desktop goes blank for a moment, and then attempts to reload, before it continually happens all over again. Windows Explorer continually loops through this process, over and over.

I had to power down the machine (hard boot), because I couldn't use the Start button for anything. I've tried booting with the last known good configuration. But Windows Explorers continues to loop in there, too. Then, I've gone into Safe Mode, but Windows Explorer even loops in that environment too. Each time, I have to hard boot out of the environment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

*On a side note, I've noticed in the past, that my RealPlayer application has been causing some issues with Windows Explorer. I used to never have this problem, but now, each time I navigate into a folder with any Realplayer videos, especially those in thumbnail view, the Windows Explorer will stop working and then restart itself. It's as though I can't navigate into the folder. I meant to uninstall it, but never got around to it. Today, when uploading my pics and vids, I noticed that videos were defaulting to RealPlayer as they were being displayed in the dialogue box. I'm suspicious that my issues were related to this. Not sure.

Never mind. I think I fixed the issue. I had to go into Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Then from there, I typed in the System Restore executable command. The Restore wizard came up, and I selected a date from last week to restore to. (My issue started this morning)

For whatever reason, the first restore didn't fix the problem. But I did a second restore, from a date at the end of last month, and it appears to have worked fine.

I've also uninstalled RealPlayer and set my folder views to icons, instead of thumbnails. I think the combination of Realplayer in thumbnail view was previously causing my windows explorer to restart. (never happened in any other folders, except those with thumbnail views of RealPlayer.)

This morning, when my camera was loading pics and videos, it appears the issues started when the videos were being uploaded into thumbnail view. I also had an incomplete Vista update install that was awaiting reboot. I'm guessing it could have been a combination of any of those. *shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom