Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 won't install to USB?

CommanderLiamTHX

In Runtime
I have put an iso of Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 on a USB, and I am trying to install it onto another USB so I can take it around with me on travels and such. There's a problem I've been running into, though. When I select my flash drive, format it to NTFS and give it a name in all caps, the installer goes on until it gets to the actual installing part, when it throws this message up at me:

EXEPTION: OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT

Am I doing something wrong? How do I fix this?

Windows doesn't like to be installed on external devices like flash drives / external HDD's.

If you want a portable OS on a flash drive, just use a Linux LiveCD of whatever distro you want.

M'kay then. Not the answer I was looking for, but I guess that could work. I might try some other formatting options with Windows though, just to be sure.

Windows is notoriously difficult to get installed on an external device - as well as getting it to run properly. It's not meant to be a portable OS.

You'd be better off using a Linux distro such as Ubuntu, Mint, etc. They can run directly from RAM or from the flash drive.

Agreed with carnage on this one. Windows hates being moved from different PCs all the time. It has to do sooo much more than it would on a regular pc, and it's just not designed to do that xD

Especially the POSReady systems, they're specifically designed to be placed on a system where they'll mainly be stationary...

Especially the POSReady systems, they're specifically designed to be placed on a system where they'll mainly be stationary...

Windows Embedded is just the Pro version with some extra services/features enabled - you can use Embedded version as a normal desktop OS just fine. Just because it's "POSReady" doesn't make it inherently more stationary than any other form of Windows.

M'kay then. Not the answer I was looking for, but I guess that could work. I might try some other formatting options with Windows though, just to be sure.

You can use (which I do) Windows MiniXP, very handy to have on travels.. just get a mini 64GB USB to give you space to save stuff etc:cool::cool:

Back
Top Bottom