!!!Windows and DVD-RW DL Problems HELP PLEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax670

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I am running XP SP2 on an Abit AN8 SLI board with Athlon 64 3700+. I have been having a problem with my DVD-RW DL drive, I have tried three different drives and have had the same problem with all of them.

This problem really started out of nowhere, it just started happening one day after a couple months of normal operation, and I have no idea what happened.

When I put in a CD, it keeps trying to read the CD, but to no avail. I go to my computer and it shows the generic picture of the CD-ROM, but does not display it having a cd in there. When click on the drive to explore it, it opens a window of the drive but displays nothing.

With audio CDs, it recognizes that it is an audio CD (comes up with the "what do you want to do" window), but when I try to play it in windows media player, it does not work. When I look at the cd in iTunes, it displays all the tracks and recognizes the cd from the online database, but when I click a song to play it it skips through the cd, one track at a time for about one second each without playing anything.

I have eliminated the possibility of this being a problem with the drive, because I have tried 2 different Lite-on drives, and one LG drive. They have all been DVD-RW DL drives, but if they all have the same symptoms, it is obviously a software problem.

This is the error message from Windows Media Player

"Windows Media Player cannot read the CD. Be sure the CD is free of dirt and scratches and the CD-ROM drive is functioning properly."

Please someone help me out here!!!!

I had this problem myself. My occured when i tried to update the Firmware on my DVD DL drive and it didnt take correctly. So i purchased a new one and it worked ever since.

So my first question would be are these drives you are trying all new? Or are they all from another system? Have they been updated? Have you removed all the drivers from the old drivers before continuing?

try uninstalling you ide drivers in device manager and reboot the computer.

if that doesn't work you will have probably have to reinstall windows

How can I differentiate in the device manager which ide controller is my primary bus and secondary. I do not want to delete the driver for my hard drive, then im screwed.

1.secondary ide drivers
2. no you won't. they reinstall themselves after you reboot

If that doesn't work, is reinstalling windows really my only option? That would be a major PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom