"Windows did not start successfully"

Status
Not open for further replies.

serac

Beta member
Ok, so the other day my computer crashed. T_T

When I turn on the computer, it starts and then flashes a message

"We're sorry for the inconvinience, but windows did not start successfully. This may be due to a recent installation."

Then it goes on to give me 5 options:

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command promt
last known good configuration
start normally

The thing is, I've tried all 5 and they keep on cycling, so nothing gets done. It just keeps repeating the same screen. :(

So I searched online and found some solutions, but none of them worked. I tried putting in my Windows xp cd, but it didn't even get read because my comp was stuck in the infinite loop and couldn't even run. Someone else suggested that I type srf /scannow or something, but the computer never even gives me time to type because windows is never loaded, its just that same annoying message over and over. :(

Can anyone please help me? If I can't figure out in a day or two then my dad is gonna reinstall EVERYTHING, and all my harddrive will be lost, which sucks especially because I was working on my science fair project on my comp yesterday and the loss of that memory will result in the loss of like 6 hours of hard work, hours of work that I really really dont want to redo.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not exactly sure how to solve that problem (I'm not good with boot issues) but I think the safest thing for now is to back up what's on that hard drive so you don't lose your files if you've got to reformat. Install the hard drive as a slave in a working computer and copy the files you need off of it and burn them to a cd. That way your important stuff is still intact.
As far as solving your problem, try getting into the bios on your computer and checking the boot order. Often times the optical drive is not set to be booted from or is set to be checked after the hard drive is. Make sure it's set to boot from before the hard drive and try rebooting from the windows cd. If this works then you can do a Windows Repair Installation and I think that should fix your problem.
Like I said, make sure your stuff is backed up before you try anything here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom