Windows Delayed Write Fail Error....any assistance please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay

Beta member
Hello guys. I'm a new member of this site and i have a situation that my research is running dry on. I'm an IT Technician for the Gates Corporation and we are running Dell Optiplex GX270's with 2.8 P4 / 1 GB DDR Ram on a 100MBPS Microsoft Network with a HP server running dual 3.4 GHZ Intel Zeon cpu's and 3.5 GB of ram. On a couple of pc's we are experiencing a problem with Microsoft Excel saving to the network. When the user tries to save a spreadsheet, the status bar moves REALLY slow and finally it gives the "Windows Delayed Write Fail Error. ALl data is lost", but of course the data isn't lost and when you try to save it a second time it goes right through. I've gone through and updated the network drivers and checked the cables (everything else works fine but this) and i cannot find anything wrong. Network connections are on Auto Detect and we're running at 100 MB Full Duplex... Can someone please give me some tips or maybe an answer? Thank you guys in advance.

P.S.
I also thought maybe it could be somethin to due with file ownership...but i can't find anything really. Plus, the Office version is Office 2003 and both Office and OS are running on SP2.

Can I ask how your network is setup? Is the server and client on the same segment connected to a switch? How big is this network and how much traffic do you expect is going on it?

The network is actually a LAN and we're connected to a WAN being that we're a world-wide corporation. I'm not sure what bandwidth usages are occuring, however, as i stated, we are a VERY large corporation. As far as the segments go, our location is running on 4 Cysco Catylist 2900 switches and branched through 3 IDF's throughout the buidling.

From my experience like this, a problem that comes and goes is usually related to congestion on the network. Because I have no idea on the topology of your corporation network, I really canÂ’t tell you much and provide any good suggestions.

Let me ask, does this happen to all clients trying to save to the server or is it just one client. And this problem happens at a certain time and then goes away?

You said you updated the network driver, but for which one; the clients or server or both? Are the network driver from the manufacture or a Microsoft driver?

It only happens to two people. But, it does happen every time they save a spreadsheet to the network. And it's only with spreadsheets and just fo these two people. The driver is from dell's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom