Windows Defender - No Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjf314

In Runtime
I just got back to my college campus today and hooked up my computer that I hadn't used for 4 months while I was on summer break. I had previously been using Microsoft Antispyware, which is now Windows Defender. So I installed Windows Defender. However, when I check for updates to it, it never finds any. Whenever I open it, it says that my definitions haven't been updated in 212 days, and right now it's just on version 1.0.0.0, released on 1/25/2006.

Now, I know there is absolutely no way that any security program would go that long without some updates, so what is the problem? Any ideas what could be keeping it from updating? Whenever I search for updates, a message pops up telling me that it's connecting to the Internet to search for updates, and then a minute or two later, another message tells me that there are no new updates or definitions.

I followed the instructions found at Microsoft's Support Site, but afterwards I still got the same results when I tried to update. However, I noticed the following line of text:

"This problem occurs because after Windows Defender Beta 2 has been reinstalled, it does not automatically obtain new definitions until the next definition update is published on the Windows Update Web site."

Does this mean that if nothing else will work to allow me to update sooner, at the very least I will be able to update it once new definitions are updated online?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom