Windows can't connect but linux can???????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolTechTutorials

Baseband Member
This is weird.
Ok, so I sent my laptop into an RMA center to fix up some stuff. They reinstalled windows but kindly put all my files back on. But, when you install windows, it removes your network profiles. I went to school after I got it back and it wouldn't connect to the internet. I booted into Ubuntu and wow, it worked. Same exact thing at my friend's house. If anyone knows how to fix this please help. Thanks.

Chances are there is a network driver that's meant to be installed on Windows that comes on Ubuntu by default (or it's using some generic driver).

Yup it's a driver problem. Lookup your PC model, find the support section from the manufacturer, find the driver download sections, and get the driver. Put it on a USB key and when you boot to windows put that sucker in and install the driver.

Yup it's a driver problem. Lookup your PC model, find the support section from the manufacturer, find the driver download sections, and get the driver. Put it on a USB key and when you boot to windows put that sucker in and install the driver.

So um. How do I get it from ubuntu????? Lol sorry I'm a n00000b.

What the manufacturer of your laptop?
While in Linux, google them. Go to their website, and find a Support or Drivers link. Then you'll need to put in your computer's model number somewhere.
Then you should be given a list of drivers. Download the 'ethernet' or 'network' driver, and then copy it over to your Windows partition. Then you can boot into Windows and install the driver from there.

Yes, which is why you need to get the Windows driver, in Linux. Since you can't get the Windows driver in Windows, because that's the problem.

if you want to try simple solution, plug it in to the network with the cable cat 5 and try windows update, chances are you will get your driver there and you dont rly need to look too much that way. it shuld be in the optional downloads as most hardware is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom